Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am no longer bikeless. I am the proud papa of a 2000 500r. A few questions 1. what rpms do you shift at? what rpms do you drive between 4-5? how many kms can a tank of gas get? where can i get a manual for it? anyone else think the mirrors are shitty? if i just replace the air filter with a k&n will i notice a difference in power? what fuel rating do you put in it, 87, 91 octane? Will it get upto 200 kph?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MANUAL

Where it says Discount Kawasaki Parts & Accessories on your screen click there or go to www.beartoothkawasaki.com and you will get the 15% discount automatically. Shifting depends upon many factors, like whether you are on flat surface going up/down hill what the load is on the bike... Push the mirrors out to where you can only see the edge of you elbows or arms...IF you replace the Airfilter with a K&N you should install new plugs and read them to see if you are running to lean or not...if you are running lean you will have to rejet...Depending upon how you ride, an dhow many miles you have on the engine you may get by with 87 octane but it won't cost that much more for the small tank to use the difference for the 91..esp. considering what valves would cost to replace if you didn't...and 200KPH! That is OVER the MAXIMUM Speed LIMIT! (but if your bike is in sound mechanical shape an been taken care of...and yor tires are rated...you should be able to hit 200.)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
RPM's and Shifting

When you ride a bicycle you should theoreticaly turn 60-90 Revolutions Per Minute. If you are on flat land you just keep usphifting till you find the gear that you can still maintain this in. on a 12 speed flat land with no wind you may find that 10th gear is all that your legs can pull (your motor), then if you get a nice tail wind you cn pull 11 or 12th gear especially if you are going down a nice hill....once you start climbing you will be down shifting and trying to keep your rotation up to 90RPM's constantly downshifting till you can maintain the revolutions...the same basic principal applies to riding the motorcycle. Wind (drag) is increased because of greater speeds, hills, headwinds, how much gear, or even having a rider up with you...even rain effect which gear that you use...the same with going down long steep roads or downhill windy roads...the easiest way to tell you is to have you get the manual and read it and to follow at a safe distance someone that you know has been riding for a long period of time...or just take it very slow and be very careful, which is probably the best advice of all. It is very easy to forget that the bike 388 pounds and then your weight added to that is only being supported by two postage size patches of tire touching the ground...when both of them should be on the ground anyway, at all times whether it is on hot dry sticky concrete, sandy loose roads, wet slippery corners...spilled petrol on the roads...ALL you have is two patches of tire to hold you up at what ever speed that you are going...added to that not only your weight but the weight of the bike...Buy the best tires that you can afford, the best helmet is important, the best of everything, but most important of all...BE CAREFUL and do not exceed YOUR limits. The bike is capable of things that you may never in your lifetime be capable of performing. you only get one chance in/with life...take it slow and enjoy the things around you...you want to go fast get on an aircraft or train...Speed consumes some people like gambling...I'm one cousin short because he didn't understand...be free my fellow Forum Friend, but fly safely...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I shifted at around 3000-4000 rpms when I first got my bike, but that was when it was a brand new bike, it is what the manual said in it. Now I've been riding for 2 seasons and I can do it by ear, you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
shift points really rely on how you are riding, when I'm commuting around I usually shift between 4-5k rpm. If I'm riding hard I usually shift at about 7300 in the first 2 gears, 9500 for 3rd and 10500 for the next 3 gears. but at that point you are running about an indicated 130mph. Keep in mind I've done full exhaust, K&N air pods, stage 3 rejetting, so my powerband is significantly different from stock. Just get used to your bike and figure out what rpm feels good for you to shift at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts