Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got a quick question ... how are the EX500 and the 500R related to each other? I'm pretty new to motorcycles and don't know much. All I can tell is that the EX500 has been discontinued within the last couple of years. I saw something somewhere else that suggested they were the same bike, but they didn't exactly give much information on it.

BTW, I'm new to this forum, and doing some research for my brother ... but you can read about that in my post in the General section :p. Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
up to 1993 models its a ex500a (I believe) and 94+ models are ex500D, or 500R, cosmetic differences are about it, along with a few functional things on the later models like rear disc brake and such.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NINJA 500R

Call Beartooth or write them (check the Member list) and PM them...the Manuals are very inexpensive...It's the same bike on the new ones!

·
Registered
65 Posts
**Man, I just posted this in another thread, so apologies if it sounds familiar.**

The EX500s pre-'94 here in the US had the official model designation EX500A__. The __ refers to the year in production it is in, so an '88 (I think that was the first year) has a model designation of EX500A1. The 'nickname' of the bikes was just 'EX500.' In '94 the nickname of the bikes became 'Ninja 500R' to go along with the changes that occured to the fairings, brakes, wheels, and other little bits. The official model designation changed then to EX500D1 here in North America. So that means the 2004 model is the EX500D11, and that would make the 2003 an EX500D10, and so on. If you see an EX500E__ that refers to the '95+ European models, which get an additional front disc (to make it a dual front/single rear disc bike) and has the nickname of GPZ500. Interesting side note: the Ninja 250 has been in production as the same bike the whole time since '87 and the 2004 model is designated as the EX250F18!! 18 years as the same bike, awesome!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So do you know what if any parts are apllicable to both pre-94 & 94+ ex500 bikes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts