Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys,

I am looking to get a motorcycle this summer, am sure you guys get this all of the time, but i have never ridden a motorcycle before. I am 25 and just recently decided to go back to college to earn my masters degree. I drive an f150 but want a bike to ride to school and work etc. it will not be my primary transportation, but i want something that will cruise at 50mph with absolutely no problem and i need it fast enough to ride on the interstate at atleast 70 for 10 miles or so. the highway thing might not be a necessity because i dont know if i will build up the nerve to drive on the highway for some time, so i might just take back roads for a while. what would you guys recomend for a first bike for my situation?

thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,204 Posts
MSF course first of all
early 90's f2/f3 CBR honda.... not huge power, but fast enough for what your doing. comfy, handles well, lots of parts out there for ya, cheap to pick up, good motor.....
good luck

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
A lot has to do with how much you can control your testosterone. A person can start on any bike they want, but have to know their limits and be careful. My boys are about your age...22 and 24. I started them out on an old Suzuki VX800. it was about 50 HP and 60 ft lb of torque. The 650 is somewhat near that. being a twin, it's easy to ride for a beginner, but also has a great top end. You can also look at Suzuki SV650s they are cheap and plentiful. There are a number of them that are used as track bikes too, so they aren't slouches when it comes to reasonable sporty power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot has to do with how much you can control your testosterone. A person can start on any bike they want, but have to know their limits and be careful. My boys are about your age...22 and 24. I started them out on an old Suzuki VX800. it was about 50 HP and 60 ft lb of torque. The 650 is somewhat near that. being a twin, it's easy to ride for a beginner, but also has a great top end. You can also look at Suzuki SV650s they are cheap and plentiful. There are a number of them that are used as track bikes too, so they aren't slouches when it comes to reasonable sporty power.

well i was looking to spend less than 2k... i believe when people say that i will lay the bike down so im thinking that i can get something cheap and then in 5 years or so actually spend some money on something new

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,204 Posts
yes the cbr is a 600 but pretty tame HP wise... nothing crazy about them unlike the new bikes today with 115hp at the wheel in 600 form... the f2 is prob. 65-70hp with 45-50tq.... so its not a wheelie monster 180mph bike... i used it for a track bike and it was awesome.....

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
there are a number of good used bikes in the 98 to 02 range that you should be able to find for that price. A newer 250 or 500 at that price too. Older SV650 Suzukis. Heck, there's a 98 Honda Superhawk here in town for sale for $2100, so I know they are out there. If you get something in the 50 to 75 HP range, you'll have a nice bike to start on and will still enjoy for a few years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.