Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to my first maintenance check on my '04 1500 Classic. At 600 miles, the owner manual calls out for an oil change, filter replacement, rear end oil change, bolt torque check, cable check......etc. My question is, is this a maintenance check covered by the warranty or is the expnese on me? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
600 miles

Congrats on your New Machine. I've got 94 miles on my 1600 Classic and the dealer told me that I will be paying for the 600 mile checkup. It sounds expensive but as long as they do the required work I guess its worth it. :roll: Good luck and may your road be free of flying debris :wink:

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks curby. my dealer told me the same thing but a friend said that he thought such a check should be covered. I don't mind paying to make sure my ride remains safe. Say, how does that 1600 run? I was leaning toward the 1600 myself but went smaller... :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
You will have to pay for it, nothing free at the dealers. Make sure they do all the work. A lot of them just dump oil call it good. Most dealers will charge 1 H 1/2 labor plus parts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It all depends on your dealership, whether they charge and how much. Some dealers offer the first service at no charge :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Spok,

I am very close to my first maintenance check as well. I just can`t see giving the dealer two hundred dollars for a oil change. I think I`m going to do it myself. Spend the rest on chrome
!!!

Chris

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked in with my dealer. The cost will be roughtly $150. I am going to make sure they don't just change oil and call it good. I want them to make the entire 600 mile checklist complete. So far, my dealer seems to be pretty square as far as dealers go, I will let ya'll know how this experience goes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

if your gonna let the dealer service your bike-get to know the man behind the wrench :wink: - a six pack,lunch or something will go a long way in starting a relationship,after all he's got your saftey in his hands and it never hurts to make a new friend :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just had my Mean Streak in for it's 600 mile inspection and Oil change. The cost was $238 USD. Definitely worth the price considering they discovered that the front axle was not tightened to factory spec.

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good catch by your dealer IL-Meanie....My babycame out with flying colors and no problems, but if something had come up as in your case It most likely something I'd not have caught. I bought my bike off the sales floor the same day it was taken out of the crate so there wasn't even time for the dealer to look it over more than a post uncrating inspection. 1 plus months and she runs like a dream.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guys,
When I bought my 800, I was told by the salesman that the 600 mile service was going to be about $125. When I took the bike in a few months later to have it done, I was suprised to find that it was going to be $272. I was told the reason for this was because Kawasaki requires the first servicing on all new bikes to be the "Gold Service package". The $125 that I was told by the salesman turned out to be a basic servicing. I wasn't too pleased about that, but I knew that would be the only time a dealer would touch my bike..

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree Bikeaholic, my dealer quoted me a price range minus tax and he hit it on the head....I'm a happy camper with my dealer.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i have never owned a bike that required anyhting more than an oil change
at 600 miles :roll: - that's all that's needed 99% of the time.i've never had anything
critical be off from factory spec at 600 miles,even on the harley :p
cables,brakes,airfilter,and a general run through get checked and that's about it.

ticks me off to hear what some stealers tell their customers :evil:

if your a good customer alot of dealers will do the first check free or at a reduced price
but to overcharge on a 600 mile check is ridiculous :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree, Bike, it can be an awfully expensive oil change. I know I will most likely do mine myself, unless my dealer cuts me a hell of a deal. This dealership is new to me, so we'll see. I guess if someone does not have the ability or inclination to check the bike over themselves, some peace of mind can be had from the checkup, it just shouldn't cost so **** much!!! :oops:

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Just had to jump in here ... checked my records - my dealer charged me $76 for my 600 mile. Might be worth the ride to Wisconsin to get a good deal. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey, Freedom, I just may head south to your dealer if that's the case. Maybe it's the cold weather up here and they know if they charge too much, the few potential sevices they have may not materialize.
I took about a 10 mile ride tonight and **** near froze!! It must be about 45°, windy and cloudy. Any better in Madison?

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my previous post, I forgot to mention that my dealer (K&W cycle..Utica, Mi.) also told me that the first service "had to be done by an authorized Kawasaki dealer or the warranty would be voided". I almost always do my own wrenchin on my vans and bikes. I only let them do the first service because this was my first new bike. This dealer will never see business from me again. Or any of the dozens of people that I've told about them.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I hate to hear about bad dealers :x I am fortunate enough to have found a great dealer :) On my 600 mile check they changed oil, retorqued nuts and bolts, and gave the bike a thorough check over, including checking valve clearances. They spent over 2 hours going over the bike. All for $75 :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts