Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ready for next DOD!
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my 600 mile oil change and fastener check. But for fun I called to see what the dealer charges, so I can justify some more bling .. :)

They said $280 because they have to adjust the values since it is a large engine.. ??..?? That is not even on the maintenance schedule until 15000 miles...

Good thing I did it myself.. :mrgreen:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Find a different dealership... you can't trust them.

Even better, spend the $55 on the service manual and a good set of tools and do the work yourself.
Valve adjustment on the 900 is one of the easiest to do. I have to pull the cams on my dirtbike.

So what are you doing with the $280 you saved?

·
Vulcan 900 Custom
99 Posts

Even better, spend the $55 on the service manual and a good set of tools and do the work yourself.
Valve adjustment on the 900 is one of the easiest to do. I have to pull the cams on my dirtbike.
I agree with Rich and took his and others advice. I ordered the service manual (from Beartooth :biggrin:) and am looking forward in doing a lot of my own work. Dealers around here are not trustworthy either. I haven't done work on a motorcycle before although somewhat mechanically inclined, but can follow instructions and feel I can do it!

·
Ready for next DOD!
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So what are you doing with the $280 you saved?
Actually, the manual was the first thing I ordered after I got the bike based on the recommendations here, including yours... I'm thinking the seat may be my next purchased since the home made lowers seem to be working so well... :)

Looking at inputs on the oils, I went with the ST6607 and the castrol 4T 10/40 motorcycle oil... but I noticed that the original filter was 2 3/4 inch long, and the new one was shorter... found some metal on the screen, but not much.. went well...

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
You're probably good with 10w40 year-round in St Louis unless your summer temps start peaking over 100.

On the filter, shorter is actually better on the 900 with that rectifier bracket. The filter on my wife's Rav4 is smaller than the M1-108 (which is the shorter of the two filters that work on the Vulcan and a good one for the 900) and it does just fine on 7,000 mile intervals. Especially with a non-synthetic, we're changing the bikes every 2-3k, so pretty much any quality filter (read that, other than Fram) is fine.

·
Ready for next DOD!
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input... St. Louis does not seem to get above 100 much at all anymore... maybe a week ... and I probably wouldn't ride in that heat, with the jacket I have.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts