Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

821 - 840 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lets put it to here too...

Hi, i am new here.. But not new with the bikes.. Except for the kawis .

I live in finland, where this bike is... bit rare for its engine and electrical parts...

I have problem with the starting cause it wont spark sometimes..

The story starts when i bought this bike from guy who said, its in good shape except the thieves broke the ignition switch while attempting to stole it.

So i replaced it with a new ignition switch, and putted the 100-120 ohm resistor to the grey wire ( As i can remember it was that wire)... It started after attempting to start it for 20 minutes... Runned great and smooth BUT. When i did shut it, and tried next day to fire it up, it didnt start.. So i started to solve the problem and it seems that it wont give spark sometimes when i try to start... Sometimes the problem goes away when i take battery ground cable of and reconnect it... Sometimes it goes away when i put ignition switch on-off-on-off-on mode..

Does enyone have the same problem? Where to start dig the problem?

And i have new cdi at home.. But i think the problem wont be in there... I have to check it tomorrow..

- Ninerider

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lets put it to here too...

Hi, i am new here.. But not new with the bikes.. Except for the kawis .

I live in finland, where this bike is... bit rare for its engine and electrical parts...

I have problem with the starting cause it wont spark sometimes..

The story starts when i bought this bike from guy who said, its in good shape except the thieves broke the ignition switch while attempting to stole it.

So i replaced it with a new ignition switch, and putted the 100-120 ohm resistor to the grey wire ( As i can remember it was that wire)... It started after attempting to start it for 20 minutes... Runned great and smooth BUT. When i did shut it, and tried next day to fire it up, it didnt start.. So i started to solve the problem and it seems that it wont give spark sometimes when i try to start... Sometimes the problem goes away when i take battery ground cable of and reconnect it... Sometimes it goes away when i put ignition switch on-off-on-off-on mode..

Does enyone have the same problem? Where to start dig the problem?

And i have new cdi at home.. But i think the problem wont be in there... I have to check it tomorrow..

- Ninerider

Answering to my self.. I solved the problem. Hope this helps others too with similar stuff..

Hi!

I have solved the problem.. After 2 hours of searching i figured out the grey wire doesnt give sometimes volts to the Cdi unit... I followed that wire and it leaded me to ignition switch.. There was the resistor that i did put to the ignition switch wiring... That resistor was melted (!?) ... So i cutted the wire half and removed the old resistor, installed new one and noticed it works.. No more spark cutting or back firing... I think that the resistor have been melted by the heat, cause the wires were near the engine offcourse... Nothing unusual were on other wirings...

·
dolly
39 Posts
2001 ZX600J Clutch 3 of them ??

ok so helping a friend put a new clutch in his bike ( not sure if we need special tools )

but we call a dealer to get a clutch and he asks "which one" ? Says there are 3 different ones and we need calipers to find out which one we have ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm learning how to ride a 2002 zr6 and have stalled a few times on it. Engine is starting to sputter when I have it on idle and when i ride. The lights are also flickering, any ideas on the problem and how to fix? Help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello im new to street bikes i baught a ninja 900 and i will charge the battery and ride but as soon as i shut it off it wnt start on a car i would say its the altanator is their one on a bike i baught the bike for a hobby i dnt want to take to a shop then its not my hobby it theirs so can u tell me what to do

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whats up everyone? I just started playin with an 88 Ninja 600R. Its not my first bike, but it is my first street bike. When I got it it had been sitting for a number of years, since 99 maybe, so I cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, changed the plugs and wires, and flushed the coolant. Its missing the boots between the carbs and the airbox so, I just pulled the airbox out and im going to put individual filters on. Anyways, my problem is when I start the bike, its very hard to start and I have to push start it a lot of the time. After I finally get it started the bike will not run above 7K. When it gets to 7 it just dies. If I give it wide open throttle it will not run, it bogs down and stalls. Low end power is basicly non existant. My question is, would this be due to open carbs or by chance is something else wrong? Am I going to need to rejet? I pulled the plugs out and they're not fouled and I also pulled the carbs back off and recleaned them. I need some suggestions.
Any body have anny recomendations for this? I am having the same problems with mine. Ive cleaned the carbs, and tank still bogs down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an '86 zx600a which is in desperate need of some care, and I just have a couple questions.

Does this bike have a positive neutral finder? I can't get it to shift up to 2nd when it's stopped, and it doesn't run at the moment, so I can't see if it will shift when it's moving.

Second, (and far more importantly,) I did a compression test on all 4 cylinders, they were 15,51,26,48 PSI... I am confused as to how they could all be so low. The only thing I could think of was the timing chain being off a tooth. Are there any other possibilities/common issues with this bike? (head gasket, etc) Is there a guide for checking the timing on these bikes? Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will be picking my 2012 zx6r, with 0 miles on it, from the dealership within the next week. The dealership is 100 miles away and I plan to ride it home and then I have to make about a 4 hour trip that same day on it. Is there any tips on breaking in the motor before or during the trip?

·
Super Moderator
10,830 Posts
I will be picking my 2012 zx6r, with 0 miles on it, from the dealership within the next week. The dealership is 100 miles away and I plan to ride it home and then I have to make about a 4 hour trip that same day on it. Is there any tips on breaking in the motor before or during the trip?
It can be a controversial subject but IMHO read and follow the break in directions in the owners manual. The most important things IMO are to take it easy on the throttle the first few hundred miles and to vary your rpms when riding during break in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I've been thinking to increase my bike's performance somehow. Now that I've done some research, I think easiest way is to replace the engine. I think new engine should be injection functioned.

My question is: From which models is it possible to mount engine to my ZZR60 1990 (ZX600D)? For example if I buy -04 zx6r's engine would I be able to mount it on my Zetor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, I'm new here. So I have a custom 98 zx6r with a 636r engine. I'm trying to figure out which 636 I have. Can anymore tell me the best way to figure it out? My bike actually looks like an 02 or 03 due to fairing change but not sure which version of 636 engine. Previous owner said mid 2000s but evidently there is more than one. I want to buy a Power Commander and I want to make sure I get the right one for my engine.

Thanks...
TC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone! First, I want to let you know this is my first bike. I don't know much about the mechanics, but I'm trying to learn as I go, so please bare with me.

I got this 1995 zx7r in October last year and I loved it, worked great for a while. Then, it wouldn't start after I had just turned it off while I was down town. Jumped it and it seemed to be fine unless I let it sit for a while, then it would need jumped again. Now, it dies no matter what, even while I'm riding. The battery keeps draining. I'll charge it for a while, then it'll start, but will only run for about 20 to 30 minutes before I have to charge/jump it again. I've already replaced the battery, still getting the same problem. I know it's probably the alternator, but I didn't know if there was anything else I needed to check before I tried to replace it. Any help is appreciated! Weather is getting nice so I'd really like to be able to ride again soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
93 Ninja 600 leaking coolant from thermostat housing broken screw. HELP

Hey guys I have 93 ninja 600 and have a leak from a broken screw in center of thermostat. Has anyone experienced this and what's best repair option. The leak is getting worse .

Only thing i can think of is replace entire thermosat, or find a way to bring the screw out, but i dont know how to do this.

I have added photos of the problem, please check them out and help if possible. thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1996 ninja 600 r AND IM IN NEED OF A SPEEDOMETER IM TURING IT INTO A STREETFIGHTER SO IM LOOKING FOR AFTERMARKET OR UNIVERSAL. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

A my friend just bought a 2004 Z750, and needs to replace the speedometer. Actually there are no cheap Z750 speedometers to buy in the nearby. Speedometers of ZX6r and ZX10R can also be applied on the bike. The question is if they are compatible, would they show the real rpm values?

Thank you for your answers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help I'm stuck right now 87 ninja it will start but it idles real low and cuts off after maybe 20 seconds after running or if I roll the throttle it shuts off right then what's going on

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 93 ZX6d.when I bought it it would not idle without the choke but would run fine while riding.I pulled the carbs and cleaned the Jets out and put it back together and now it won't start.what I'm thinking is the guy who had it before me set the air/fuel mixture to run with the dirty carbs cuz he said it didn't run when he got it and now that the Jets are cleared out that it's dumping too much fuel into the carb,does this seem possible.and if so how do I know how many turns for the air/fuel mixture screw to get it set right

821 - 840 of 859 Posts