Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

841 - 859 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '05 ZZR600 is kaputt and I need some advice. Yesterday, I was shifting into 4th and the gears never caught so my engine just revved and I heard the gears gnash super violently. I couldn't find another gear for a few seconds and by the time I did the damage was permanent. I was able to ride the last mile home but it sounded like the gears were scraping against each other. I've had issues with the clutch before and I'm hoping there's something to do with that. If it is a transmission thing then I'm pretty much hosed so I'd probably just part it out. Please help with this diagnosis

·
Registered
23 Posts
The ignitor box on my '95 600c is bad. I'm trying to find another box that would work, but its hard to figure out. Does anyone know of one or can point me in a direction?

·
In America's finest city
1 Posts
Good afternoon everyone! I'm new to the forum thing and just making a friendly intro here. I own a 99 zx7r and I've loved my bike since the day I got it. Came with 1,200 miles on it and now at 16,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I have an 03 zzr 600, rebuilt and runs great. I did a compression test on it and getting 88-91 across all 4 cylinders, did the oil check and jumped to 121. The bike runs great, idles at 950 and doesnt burn oil. The manual says I should be getting 139 - 200, so either my compression test is reading wrong or I installed the piston rings perfectly wrong. Compression test was when it was warmed up and WTO. Don't want to drop the engine again unless I have too. Thanks for the ideas. Anyone else own zzr6 and have compression readings that low?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would try a different compression tester.
Are you using the type that threads into the spark plug holes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone this is my first post and I have an 89 ninja 600r street fighter and am trying to find out wich years of gas tanks will work with it as mine keeps getting pin holes lol looking at it the previous owner had used lots of what appears to be a mix of bondo and jb weld(?) any info would be great thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crazy oil leak need some help!

So there's oil coming from my gear selector and I didn't notice it until I tried to down shift "without using the clutch just started riding like 2 months ago" and it wouldn't go down. I pulled over and I had a slow but steady oil drip and was able to track it down after about 20 minutes. Anyone know what this is and how I could fix it. Would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you with that. I had an oil leak that went serious on my 2008 KLR 650. I was out on a long cruise and when I parked at a gas station I noticed oil dripping from the counter sprocket area. I bought a few quarts of oil and continued on my way stopping every 10-15 miles. It became so bad that I basically ran it out of oil but it still kept going until at one stop light it basically emptied all the oil and I spun the tire while accelerating. Long story short I had to get it towed almost 100-miles home. It turned out to be a counter sprocket oil seal that was a $5 part. The bike had over 53,000 miles on it so I guess these parts wear out. There were metal shaving in the oil filter when I removed it indicating likely bearing damage. It was for sale before this last ride and I sold it a month later.

I wish I could be more useful in your situation.

I would get a dealer opinion or see a service manual.

Good luck!

·
Registered
776 Posts
So there's oil coming from my gear selector and I didn't notice it until I tried to down shift "without using the clutch just started riding like 2 months ago" and it wouldn't go down. I pulled over and I had a slow but steady oil drip and was able to track it down after about 20 minutes. Anyone know what this is and how I could fix it. Would be much appreciated.
The shifter shaft has an oil seal around. Don't know what bike this is, but this is in general easy to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
03 zx6r Throttle body issues, or maybe ECU

This is my first post, I have an 03 zx6r and have some questions for my fellow Kawi people.

So, I've looked everywhere! When I turn the key to start the throttle body secondary shutters close (bc they're already open). After they close they open back straight up and don't go back down, they just try to open more it looks and sounds like. I've replaced the throttle body completely and it keeps doing the same thing. I've just ordered a new ECU and hoping that fixes it. The bike wont start and if it does, it runs like complete ****! Ive literally taken out ever sensor and checked resistance and all come back with good readings. I took the bike apart and the motor sat for 2 years with no fluids in it, all ports where plugged. I have had it running but thought the power commander was messing it up so i tried flashing everything. I think thats how the ECU really took a **** in the first place. So I unplugged it and it ran like 5 times good but not again after that. Any comments and suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Thanks guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it all depends on how you ride it... i have the 750 and am getting between 100-120 miles a tank. if i ride the freeways, i get less, if i'm just out cruising around town, i get more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi folks i need some help i just bought a 2001 zx6r form a collage kid i have never owned a bike he had said he layd it over an it wouldnt start i put an new battery in it yesterday to see if it would crank all its doing is clicking further looking at things i noticed gas in the oil like i said iv never owned a bike could someone help me out plz

·
Registered
1 Posts
03 zx6r Throttle body issues, or maybe ECU

This is my first post, I have an 03 zx6r and have some questions for my fellow Kawi people.

So, I've looked everywhere! When I turn the key to start the throttle body secondary shutters close (bc they're already open). After they close they open back straight up and don't go back down, they just try to open more it looks and sounds like. I've replaced the throttle body completely and it keeps doing the same thing. I've just ordered a new ECU and hoping that fixes it. The bike wont start and if it does, it runs like complete *! Ive literally taken out ever sensor and checked resistance and all come back with good readings. I took the bike apart and the motor sat for 2 years with no fluids in it, all ports where plugged. I have had it running but thought the power commander was messing it up so i tried flashing everything. I think thats how the ECU really took a * in the first place. So I unplugged it and it ran like 5 times good but not again after that. Any comments and suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Thanks guys
I have a 06 636 and my friend has an 04 ZX6R he had the problem he thought it was his ECU as well i told him it sounded my like a fuel issue. Well turns out i was right he bought a ECU and had same issues so I talked him into getting a new fuel pump and now he's back to carving curves with a huge smile on his face. Turns out that the fuel pump was pumping just not with the proper fuel pressure. so i'd say try checking the fuel pump pressure.

·
Registered
Mustang GT 500. 2011
3 Posts
You're getting almost 50-miles per gallon on a vehicle that will stride briskly away from a Corvette. (?) Dude, this is about as close to science-fiction as we can get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whats up everyone? I just started playin with an 88 Ninja 600R. Its not my first bike, but it is my first street bike. When I got it it had been sitting for a number of years, since 99 maybe, so I cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, changed the plugs and wires, and flushed the coolant. Its missing the boots between the carbs and the airbox so, I just pulled the airbox out and im going to put individual filters on. Anyways, my problem is when I start the bike, its very hard to start and I have to push start it a lot of the time. After I finally get it started the bike will not run above 7K. When it gets to 7 it just dies. If I give it wide open throttle it will not run, it bogs down and stalls. Low end power is basicly non existant. My question is, would this be due to open carbs or by chance is something else wrong? Am I going to need to rejet? I pulled the plugs out and they're not fouled and I also pulled the carbs back off and recleaned them. I need some suggestions.
Hi boostfed, this is a long shot! I was searching the exact problem on my now classic status 600R.
I see you never got a reply to your query, did you ever find out what was wrong with the bike? 2005 maybe you wont remember?
Ive done the same as you did: removed air box fitted filters but cant get above 60mph, it was doing that before airbox removal. Got a clean fuel tank good vac conection to tap with new internals,good fuel flow visible throu inline filter,plugs clean and gapped rite. Engine runs instantly on the button and sounds great & smooth cant figure out whats wrong.
Can anybody out there suggest what it may be??Thanks.

841 - 859 of 859 Posts