Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Mule 610 with about 160 hours. I noticed it last winter and it's back again. This is typical; 20 degrees outside, it starts OK in the unheated garage and after just a little running idles and runs ok w/o choke. Ride it say for 5-10 minutes at 1/2 throttle across the snowy field but when I stop it won't idle it just stalls. It starts right up and will idle roughly with a little extra throttle but still won't idle on its own. Plug is good (was changed at 120 hours along with valves set) Gasoline is kept fresh, removing gas cap doesn't help. Didn't used to do this until last winter. Once spring arrived it was fine again until this winter so it *must* be temp related. I'm not sure where to look, any thoughts? TIA.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The carburetor pilot fuel circuit is set very lean on the 610 to meet EPA regulations.

The fix is pretty simple. Take a look at the parts diagram for the carburetor on Kawasaki.com, under the Owner Info tab, and you will see a part #16187. That is the pilot air screw. Back it out a half turn for winter operation.

There is a blind plug over the top of that screw. You have to drill through that plug with a fine drill bit, just barely penetrate the metal, then pop it out with an awl or pick. When you are done setting that screw just dab a bit of high temperature grease into the hole over the adjustable needle jet to stop air leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip RCW. Just seems strange that after a cold start I can push the choke off pretty quickly and it idles OK. It's only after being driven for a while in the cold that it doesn't want to idle? Even though the engine is warming prehaps the carburator itself is getting cooler when the Mule is run in the winter? But I'll pull the plug, back it out an additional 1/2 turn and see if it helps (I did this on my KLR).

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The issue is the alcohol in the fuel we have now days. It causes the carburetor to ice in cold weather and creates running problems. That is one reason you do not have that same sort of garbage fuel for airplanes. Set the pilot fuel circuit correctly and the problem will go away.

When you get done pulling your hair, write a thank you letter to your Congressman. They really need to know how much people that live with budgets and expect their equipment to work appreciate their misguided fuel regulations!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the carb diagram assuming the plug would be on the bottom like the one on my KLR but it appears to be on the top. Am I wrong? And rather than a plug there's a small phillips screw. I removed it which revealed a very small opening. I didn't have a good light or small enough screw driver to fit in so I put the screw back. Is that where the pilot screw is located?
While I was there I drained the float bowl, didn't see any separated liquid (water) but after that the Mule ran and idled just fine. But the temp was in the upper 20's where as when I was having idling problems it was in the lower 20's.

Regarding the corn lobby and ethanol, I have written to my Congressmen, the EPA, and signed petitions against subsidizing Archer Daniel Midland etc. The whole idea is beyond stupid. At the very least I would like to see stations have at least one pump with straight gasoline.
Thanks for your help RCW.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
What you are into is the slow jet. It is on top under an Allen headed plug. The pilot air screw is on the left side of the carb that faces to the front of the Mule, and is part #16187, take a look at the parts diagrams under the Owner Info tab on Kawasaki.com - they are free to us owners and a great assist.

While you are in the fix mode, toss a whole can of SeaFoam in the fuel and run it through as you use the rig. Then pick up PRI-G and add it to your gas, it will keep the fuel fresh literally for years, and keep any gum from forming in the pilot circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.......I drained the float bowl, didn't see any separated liquid (water) but after that the Mule ran and idled just fine. But the temp was in the upper 20's where as when I was having idling problems it was in the lower 20's.
Update. The cold idling issue may have been resolved by draining the float bowl. Ran and idled well yesterday and the temp was in the teens. My neighbor has a 610 also and said his has been idling fine. I'm going to start draining a couple tablespoons out at least twice each year now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I seem to be having exactly these same symptoms but I can't get it to run at all anymore. The engine turns over until the battery dies. Fuel in the carb. I pulled the hose from the valve cover to the carb and there was a little white froth in there. But I also noticed a plastic sleeve in the valve vent. What is the purpose of that?

New gas
New fuel filter
New fuel pump
New plug and checked the gap
Cleaned carb completely
Unscrewed the capped jet 1/2 turn
Drained the carb bowl

Temporary disconnected the valve vent line and capped the carb side and still won't fire. Then Put it back on.

Didn't run last week, ran perfectly this week, won't run again today.

Runs perfect all summer long.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Omg! It's Plus 5°c here today and the mule started right up! This means it's absolutely just cold temperature that's causing the non start. Maybe I'll switch to non ethanol gas and see how that goes. Well I'm glad the mule is mechanically fine. Now just need to figure out how to use it in winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts