Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, yesterday i took my camshafts off trying to get my valves adjusted. Well, I forgot to mark my cam gears and the chain and now trying to get the timing back to how it was. I am following the service manual setting it at TDC, but when at TDC the top cam gears won't line up like it shows in the manual. Any thought of whats wrong? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/AznXstazy/gear.jpg

the red part is where it WON'T line up. I tried everything. I know it's at TDC, but it just won't line up like that. Maybe the chain jumped? (doubtful)

Edit: and the blue I can't tell how much of the exhaust I should be able to see.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Hey guys, yesterday i took my camshafts off trying to get my valves adjusted. Well, I forgot to mark my cam gears and the chain and now trying to get the timing back to how it was. I am following the service manual setting it at TDC, but when at TDC the top cam gears won't line up like it shows in the manual. Any thought of whats wrong? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/AznXstazy/gear.jpg

the red part is where it WON'T line up. I tried everything. I know it's at TDC, but it just won't line up like that. Maybe the chain jumped? (doubtful)

Edit: and the blue I can't tell how much of the exhaust I should be able to see.
Looks like you're screwed :lol:

J/K, I'm sure someone will give you a hand here, or at the worst you'll find the solution some way... unfortunately I am not able to help you.

That's why I don't tinker with my own engines. I have basic knowledge of engines and am pretty sure that with a service manual I would be able to do my own work... but I am afraid of exactly the type of problems you're having - if something goes wrong, if I forget to do something or do something wrong... I don't have enough knowledge and experience to find the solution myself and I would get stuck!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i think it might be the tensioner thats making the chain to tight for me to turn the crank by hand... going to try again next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did read and reread the manual. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Well my first mistake was listening to my friend when he said he didn't need to put it on TDC and marking it like i would on a car doing a belt change. But now I am trying to align the top with the bottom was wondering if the exhaust side can have some slack or would that make it skip a few teeth later on? I cant get it to line up without giving some slack on the exhaust side. And i tried collapsing the tensioner then reinstalling it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also forgot, when i took it the camshaft cap off and realigned everything to how the picture looks like for the camshafts. There was a little slack i had to give to the exhaust side of the chain. Is there a problem there? maybe the chain is bad? doubtful, but I'm playing with ideas now... seriously can't see why it's not aligning correctly. I am following every step of the manual precisely except the aligning the camshaft part is off.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
There should be NO slack in the exhaust side, But remember as you tighten the caps down the cams move closer to the Valve cover/Cylinder head surface where the marks line up on the cams.
So what looks like it's not aligned when the caps are loose ends up aligned when there tightened down, You almost have to estimate where to start to end up in the right place if that makes sense ?????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There should be NO slack in the exhaust side, But remember as you tighten the caps down the cams move closer to the Valve cover/Cylinder head surface where the marks line up on the cams.
So what looks like it's not aligned when the caps are loose ends up aligned when there tightened down, You almost have to estimate where to start to end up in the right place if that makes sense ?????
Yes, that makes sense sort of haha. I know it moves around when you tighten the cap down. Going to try it one more time. I know the middle have to align too and they aren't either meaning the outside lines will not align with the head. Going to try something this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts