Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all winter i kept turning starting the bike every few weeks so the battery doesn't die. it always started up like a charm. last week the weather was nice so I wanted to prep it up and i took it out of the garage and into my living room. Started just fine and drove it right into my living room.

Now a week went by and today I tried to start it and its doing this:

YouTube - wont' start


please help :-(
 

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
uhm ok ive neve seen a starter button on the left side switch pod.. thats alwasy been the HORN button on every bike ive ever owned... :confused:
as for the oil light.. yes it will stay on till engine starts and oil pressure comes up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,328 Posts
Possible weak battery/loose ground connection can make horns/lights not work right. Like QKENUF4U mentions, I've never seen a left hand start button. Both of my Kawasaki's(1977 Kz1000 and 1982 GPz1100) had/have them on the right handlebar switch pods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,328 Posts
Interesting, you can make a video "Backwards"? I still think a weak battery may be why your bike wont start/run. I'd get a "Battery Tender" or similar motorcycle rated charger and go from there.

Don't use a car charger on a bikes battery as it will quickly boil the fluid and/or warp the plates ruining the battery.I believe the minimum the car charges go to is 2 AMPS. You need charging in about 1.25 AMPS for a bike battery.

If the battery charges good, have it load tested at the bike shops if possible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wonder if walmart will have it. i'll make a trip down and report back tonite. ir eally hope that is all! :-( cant afford too much to spend on the bike right now.
 

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
2amps wont hurt a battery in the slightest.have been charging my bats with 2amps for years. doesnt boil the battery, heat the battery excessively etc.
really your supposed to charge at 1/10 the amp hour of the battery but no charges really go that low other than battery tenders (MAYBE)... and they would take awhile to charge the battery correctly/fully...
2 amps, battery full, caps off and let charge overnight while ya sleep.. simple..

and thats a COOL CAMERA if you can film w/ the image backwards...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
with a two amp you'll be fine but you don't really need to charge it so long with a 2 amp 3 to 4 hrs is enough. I use an old cell phone charger with a output of 12v .900 amps, that's less than 1 amp and get a full charge in seven or eight hours with out removing caps or the battery from the bike, and if I leave it a few more hours it does not boil or hurt it at all. but I would not let it charge for a full day or two either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
my bike dos it all the time one of your wires has an open spot a.k.a exposed wire and is touching somthing metal well thats what my gpz does hopes this helps
 

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
I agree with the above that it's most likely a low battery. Since no one else mentioned it I guess I will. Starting a bike and letting it run for a little every week or two is not good for it. It usually draws more juice out of the battery than the charging system puts back into it during the short run time. This will gradually drain the battery some if done enough times. The other thing is the oil doesn't get hot enough for long enough to evaporate the moisture in the oil. It does get it warm enough so that it draws more moisture into the crankcase as it cools down though. So each time you do this the moisture will build up in the oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you so much for all your help guys. first thing tomorrow morning is my trip to walmart to pick up a battery charger. i hope that is all that is. got an oil filter, going to grab some Shell Rotella 5w40 Fully Syn. and let the good times being! (fingers crossed)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Your battery is probably suffering from sulfation. You can get chargers that will perform desulfation on batteries... but your best bet is to buy a new battery. I had the same thing happen to me with my old ZX11. Started the bike several times through the winter, even started the day before it failed. I was just lazy and did not use a battery maintainer (live and learn) :frown:


Spyglass
 

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
Joined
·
20,826 Posts
all winter i kept turning starting the bike every few weeks so the battery doesn't die. it always started up like a charm. last week the weather was nice so I wanted to prep it up and i took it out of the garage and into my living room. Started just fine and drove it right into my living room.

Now a week went by and today I tried to start it and its doing this:

YouTube - wont' start


please help :-(
Every time you start the bike, it sucks the battery down......Add to that the fact that a battery discharges while just sitting as well.
And that a bike just idling for a little each time you start it does very little to replace the energy lost in the battery, what you have done is kill it.

Check the batteries fluid level, if low top off with distilled water and charge it up.....Hope you have not done too much damage discharging it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the trickle charger from walmart - let it sit for a whole 24 hours, and started her up the next day and waala! it worked
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top