Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change my oil for the first time on my 650R. It looks like the only thing I have to do is remove the fairing lower under the bike to get to everything. I don't have a manual with any instructions though. Is that all there is to do to get to the plug and filter?

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Yup - that's pretty much it. Careful with the plastic pins that secure the fairings though. Put her up on rear stands if you have them, and don't overfill with oil. My filter was a pain to remove, but if you have a filter wrench it should make it a lot easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's pretty simple, make sure you put some cardboard between the filter and the exhaust when draining otherwise it'll smell like burning oil for 50 miles :(

Question to other people, when you filled your oil back in, did you put the full 2 quarts or 1.9? I put 1.9 in but it still seems like there's too much in there, even if by a little. Yes I did have it standing straight when draining.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. that's what I needed. And Bennice....I use large channel locks to get the old one off! Well...for my Vulcan anyway. Don't have an oil wrench small enough to fit the bike filters. I just bend the crap out of the old ones! :)

By the way...just to antagonize the oil purists, I'm planning to run Castrol 10W40 automotive oil and a Fram filter size 6017A on the bike! ;)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Dave, I don't like Fram filters... I'd use the SuperTech 7317 before that FRAM and the Pure One PL14610 is my absolute favorite after dissecting one recently. I used to be sold on the SuperTech's, but I've decided the Pure One is that much better of a filter. The Pure One Filter is only $6, so add 5 quarts of Rotella for $9 (dyno) or $16 (syn) and it is still pretty cheap for a quality oil change.

Not sure about the 650R specifically, but I like to rock the bike side to side as the oil is petering out. There can be ribs on the inside of the oil pan, so you can get a little more out. Depends on the bike though.

Two other things I haven't seen mentioned that I like to do is run the bike briefly before the change to heat the oil up a bit and to remove the filler cap when draining your oil. I know this probably isn't your first dance, but nonetheless you have my $.02

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Thanks guys. that's what I needed. And Bennice....I use large channel locks to get the old one off! Well...for my Vulcan anyway. Don't have an oil wrench small enough to fit the bike filters. I just bend the crap out of the old ones! :)

By the way...just to antagonize the oil purists, I'm planning to run Castrol 10W40 automotive oil and a Fram filter size 6017A on the bike! ;)

Thanks guys!
That's what I put in MrsBennice's bike, and the filter. This was only the 2nd oil change, so I knew the oil/filter wouldn't be there long. Next change will probably be synthetic, or at least a blend. She's not riding that bike too hard, so I'm not worried about premature engine wear, and I'll be changing the oil pretty regularly.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
It's pretty simple, make sure you put some cardboard between the filter and the exhaust when draining otherwise it'll smell like burning oil for 50 miles :(

Question to other people, when you filled your oil back in, did you put the full 2 quarts or 1.9? I put 1.9 in but it still seems like there's too much in there, even if by a little. Yes I did have it standing straight when draining.
+1 !!!
I made that same mistake, but was able to catch it when I first started the bike after the oil change, but before I put the fairings back on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
be prepared that the filter is going to be so so tight. It seems the factory likes putting them on with a ten foot break over bar

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Boo on FRAM. No cardboard in my filter, thank you very much.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I wanted to hear! :D

I've run frams in my bikes for years. IMO it's more about keeping the oil and filter changed than which one you use. Both my bikes are done every 2500 miles. There's nothing more important! Well....air in the tires maybe. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts