Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys, great site. There is a lot of useful information here.

Anyways, im going to get my motorcycle permit in about a month because I am going to be going to college in January. I have been looking at a lot of different bikes and I think that I have narrowed it down to two. The 650R or the ZZR600. I really like them both. I think they look really nice. My question was, which is a better beginner bike? I am 6'3" tall. Thanks in advance and feel free to suggest other bikes as well. Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
The ZZR has more power... the 650r is more comfortable... both are a little powerful for a beginner... if you get a 600 class... dont do anything stupid.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
He guys, great site. There is a lot of useful information here.

Anyways, im going to get my motorcycle permit in about a month because I am going to be going to college in January. I have been looking at a lot of different bikes and I think that I have narrowed it down to two. The 650R or the ZZR600. I really like them both. I think they look really nice. My question was, which is a better beginner bike? I am 6'3" tall. Thanks in advance and feel free to suggest other bikes as well. Thanks a lot!
Hey man, welcome to the forum.

As I just wrote to another noob looking for his first bike, you have to honestly assess what your responsibility level is. If you can honestly say to yourself that you will treat a 600 with a lot of respect and you will not be tempted to test its limits from the get go, then you can consider starting out on that type of bike. My first bike (and current bike) was and is a 2006 ZX-6R, so it can be done. However I bought the bike for my 28th birthday and knew that I would treat it with respect. So if you consider yourself responsible, go for it - I would say that the 650R is a better choice. Tamer than the ZZR and more comfortable to boot :smile:

However, if you (still) have a wild streak in you and love to drive fast (the way a person drives a cage is often indicative of the way he/she will approach riding), then a 600 is not for you as a first bike. Rather start on something smaller like an EX-500 or even a small cruiser like a Vulcan 500.

Good luck and stick around :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Okay, let me piggyback another question on this thread...

Of these two bikes is there a noticable difference in miles per gallon, maitenance schedules/issues, insurance rates (I used progressive), etc.

I'm not a noob, but I'm studing over the options and cost to own and operate is a factor for me ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
650r would be ok for a sensible noob, but not the ZZR

my 650r gets 56 MPG

ZZR600 gets 45 to 50 MPG

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Insurance is about the same, they are in the same class.
No, ZZR is more. Not too much, but between that fact and it's carbed, the 650R won out when I made my decision

EDIT: That quote was from progressive for a 19y/o m living in NM. Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
542 Posts
my insurance is a bit more on 650r than the ZZR600

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Thats what i got... ZZR is actually a little cheaper on insurance becuase of lower CC.... but diff. companies do it diff. They are ABOUT the same.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm interested in your logic to narrowing it down to these two bikes.

The 650r... maybe... the ZZR600 no. An I4 600 is hardly a beginner bike IMO. Other popular and readily available bikes I suggest:

Ninja 250R
Ninja 500R
Suz GS500

and
Ninja 650R
SV650 if you are the responsible sort.

At your size and age, my suggestion would be the 500R or GS500. Don't get too wrapped up in it being a "beginner" bike. They are all reasonably capable machines that will give you a great experience to build on.

Here's another good forum to poke around in.
New Rider Forums - Sportbikes.net

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Well, being as this is your first post and I don't know if you will even be back or not, I won't take the time to explain all the variables as I see them. Of the two, go with the 650R.

·
RUN AWAY!
944 Posts
I would vote the 650r.

I see allot of people say that if you respect a 600 you can be OK but lack of respect is usually not the issue, lack of experience and common sense is. Common sense is what it is, you either have it or you don't. As far as experience goes it is allot easier to get in trouble on a faster bike because your actions as a rider have more immediate and "violent" results. They are race bikes and not very forgiving. Also, the tamer bikes are easier to reign in when you do have a lapse of common sense.

Lastly, get a good starter bike and start your riding career the right way. My experience with other riders (and myself) tells me that this will most likely not be your last bike. In fact, it will probably not make it past a season or 2 as you will have a better understanding of what you are looking for in a bike and get tempted away into something else more fitting of your wants/needs.

GL on your purchase! Definately keep us informed on how it goes for you.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
BUY USED! For a first bike go out and buy a beater, find someone who knows about bikes and take em along. If you buy a good bike thats say 10-15 years old your going to be able to turn around and sell it for the about same price you paid. No sense in buying a brand new ride until you have some experience and can make a better decision as to what you want out of your ride. Plus if you drop your brand new baby its going to really hurt your wallet.

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
I'd say go for the 650R or better yet something used. the zzr requires much finer throttle inputs... you're talking 111HP vs 65hp.

me, I put over 5,000 miles on a 250R before I moved up to my zzr. I'd have killed myself if I had went straight for the 600.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts