Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you thinks that this mileage is enough ? Of course I already bought a metzeler 880 to replace my front tire and when my bike need to be replaced the back one, I will go to darkside, thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My front has over 10,000 right now, and it should be replaced, but I'll go more.

I get 10,000 out or a rear as well, but it is how I drive.

Herb

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I'm on my third front tire at 12,000. 2 stockers cupped badly and had to be replaced with plenty of tread left.

Now I'm running a Pirelli rear on the front.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm on my third front tire at 12,000. 2 stockers cupped badly and had to be replaced with plenty of tread left.
I view the cupping as rain cutters. :lol: Yeah, they are noisey, but I don't see any reason to replace a cupped tire. Do you think, or have you read that cupping is dangerous? I have actually been smoothing my cupping out as the tire nears its end. Just curious about fears or dislikes of scallopping, cupping tires.

Herb

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Glad I didn't get a VN2000 if they are that bad on tires. Fronts should last longer than that. I got 13,000 out of the stock stone on my 1500. Replaced it with a Dunlop that went 20,000. Replaced it with a Pirelli that now has 3000 on it and should go about 20,000-25,000 with it. What pressures are yall running?

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
thats like saying wow, i am glad i didnt get a zx14 cuz they eat rear tires

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts

Now I'm running a Pirelli rear on the front.
How do you like the pirelli up front, is it aggressive tread? As I start putting the miles on this metz880 rear I'm noticing how the deep tread can make a thump as they hit. They are also starting to sing on the higher speed leans, I believe that means cupping (scalloping I'm assuming is the same thing?) is in my future. I like the look of the dunlopd208 rear tread. The grooves don't run across the tire but along it. Or could that do squirrely things because of the deep tread catching irregularities :confused:

I view the cupping as rain cutters. :lol: Yeah, they are noisey, but I don't see any reason to replace a cupped tire. Do you think, or have you read that cupping is dangerous? I have actually been smoothing my cupping out as the tire nears its end. Just curious about fears or dislikes of scallopping, cupping tires.

Herb
I would have to assume that cupping must change your footprint to a certain degree. That said, I ran my cupped stock 'stone till my normal "just before the wear bars". I'm going to run this metz with the same thought unless the cupping gives me some sort of handling/safety concerns, then you'll see a thread called "Herb, how the heck do you smooth a cupped tire"

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
thats like saying wow, i am glad i didnt get a zx14 cuz they eat rear tires

So...yea...I ride a lot, don't need a bike that eats up tires.

I wouldn't get a zx14 period. Have no need for it. And if they eat rear tires, then I definately would not get one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Had to change my original Bridgestones after 6000..badly cupped front tire. I bought a Metzler 880 and have 4400 on them with plenty of tread left.Looks like I'll get about 8000 out of these.
T.O.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
Why would a Bias not cup while a radial would? I seriously don't know and am curious why.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On my Nomad I always run a 150/80HB-16 as recommended by Metzelerand for the rear they recommeneded a 180/70R-16 radial. I know, everyone told me that you don't mix radials and Bias, but that was what Metzeler recommended and I never ever had a problem with cupping on the Bias front tire. At that time they didn't make a radial for the front. The recommended tire for the front of a VN2000 was a radial, so Metzeler didn't make one for the front of a VN2000. I always wanted to run two radials and finally Metzeler came out with a radial 150/80R-16 so I gave it a try. It cupped badly. I run a TPMS and my air pressure was always 36 - 38psi on the front. My buddy's V2K at the time was going through front tires with the cupping problem, so I told him to try a Bias. Now he gets great tire wear and no cupping, so when I got my V2k and burned through the first set of tires I went to exactly what I was running on my Nomad and I have been getting great tire wear so far and no cupping. I only have about 5000 miles on the set but both tires are doing well. I am running Metzelers... Back 180/70R-16, Front 150/80HB-16. As you noticed I am not running the 200 on the back. The 180 fits good and is doing well for wear and handles more neutral with the narrower tire.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
How do you like the pirelli up front, is it aggressive tread? As I start putting the miles on this metz880 rear I'm noticing how the deep tread can make a thump as they hit. They are also starting to sing on the higher speed leans, I believe that means cupping (scalloping I'm assuming is the same thing?) is in my future. I like the look of the dunlopd208 rear tread. The grooves don't run across the tire but along it. Or could that do squirrely things because of the deep tread catching irregularities :confused:

I would have to assume that cupping must change your footprint to a certain degree. That said, I ran my cupped stock 'stone till my normal "just before the wear bars". I'm going to run this metz with the same thought unless the cupping gives me some sort of handling/safety concerns, then you'll see a thread called "Herb, how the heck do you smooth a cupped tire"
So far I like the Pirelli. I only have about 2000 mile son it so far, but it handles nice and is quiet and smooth.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts

Herb
The noise got so bad it was ruining the riding experience, and I was feeling added vibration in the handlebars. Unsafe----no, I don't think so. Annoying to the point of insanity??? Definitely!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used to rub the boards the odd time on my Nomad. All I have rubbed on the V2K was the exhaust pipe so far. If Metzeler recommends it for the Nomad, I don't see any difference for the V2K. My Nomad didn't weigh much less than my V2K. The radial is V rated and the Bias is H rated for speed. H speed rating is 130 mph or 210 km/h where as V speed rating is 149 mph or 240 km/h. You will never get the V2K to 130mph so I wouldn't worry.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
Actually I've had mine up to 225 kmh. I guess stickyness of the front tire is gonna be hard to figure as our riding style differ a fair bit. I don't drag the boards. I go further. I've had to replace the bottom floorboard mounting bolt cause most of the head has ground off. I'd rather deal with cupping than have a slippery tire up front.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts