Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently required what I think is a '73 G3SS something. It is an absolute blast, but when I ride for more than 4 miles, I lose almost all power especially under load. If I park it for 10 minutes, everything is fine . . . for about 4 miles.

Through research, I think this is due to a faulty condensor. I ordered one, but for the life of me I cannot pull the flywheel off. The shop couldn't pull the flywheel off.

So now I'm thinking, can I put the new condensor in line? Instead of replacing the original, just suppliment it? Not ideal, but I feel like I'm running out of options.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Just a thought, but see if the gas tank vent is clogged. The bike may be starving for air. Look under the gas cap for a vent hole before tearing into replacing the condensor.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Stupid question: Did you and the shop use the correct flywheel puller ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MFolks - that is a great idea that I have not thought of! Even if the vest hole looks okay, it still may be worth it to take it for a spin.

1c - considering the subject, there are no stupid questions. I special ordered the flywheel puller from the dealer. It threaded into the recessed center of the flywheel, and then promptly stripped the thread. It looks like the shop unsuccessfully tried a puller with outside fingers through the flywheel, again with no success.

Both are really good ideas, please keep them coming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talk about stupid, I can't tell where the gas tank vent is supposed to be. It's rusty though, and the spring valve seems to be stuck, so if it's not the problem, it's still something that needs to be addressed.

Paul, I have not checked the coil. I don't know how to. Can you tell me or refer me to the right spot?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Take a hair dryer or heat gun, and using a multimeter set on ohms, heat up the ignition coil if possible, taking readings of the ignition coils resistance on the primary(small wire side) and the secondary side where the sparkplug wires come from.

Most bike's primary resistance is 2.2 to 3+ ohms, seldom higher than 4 ohms.

Another place to look is the sparkplug wires and sparkplug caps, the wires can develope an open circuit after being heated along with the sparkplug caps failing too.

Sparkplug caps have a resistor inside that over time and heat can again, develope an open circuit. The only fix is to replace the caps and possibly the sparkplug wires.

If the plug wires are molded into the coil, z1 enterprises sells NGK sparkplug splices: NGK Plug Wire Splicer - - - - - - - - from Z1 Enterprises, Inc.

And new sparkplug caps:NGK Resistor Spark Plug Cap 12mm & 10mm - 90 degree elbow - LD05F OEM: LD05F from Z1 Enterprises, Inc.
NGK Resistor Spark Plug Cap 14mm - 90 degree elbow - LB05F OEM: LB05F from Z1 Enterprises, Inc.

I'd ask at z1 about what type sparkplug cap your bike needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts