Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Larson 5
I have a 74 Kawasaki G4 trail boss bike starts great I run it for maybe 15 minutes and it shuts down. Carburetor is brand new OEM carburetor. New spark plug. I think when it gets hot it loses Spark . Any ideas thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I tested the ignition coil with an ohmmeter and it seems like it’s OK got the proper readings but I did notice it’s leaking fluid from The coil. I think it might be breaking down when he gets hot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you I tested the ignition coil with an ohmmeter and it seems like it’s OK got the proper readings but I did notice it’s leaking fluid from The coil. I think it might be breaking down when he gets hot.
Coils will trick you. They tend to fail when hot or under load. Have you checked the vent on the fuel tank? Could be running out of fuel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone I have a question on my 74 Kawasaki trail boss 100 cc When I adjust the new points they don’t open completely on the timing mark they open completely about a half inch off the mark what does that mean. Thank you

·
Registered
313 Posts
You should always change the condensor (capacitor). If they leak, the points will burn on the fixed side. That is what condensors do, they equalize the voltage to prevent the points from arcing/burning on one side too much, being balanced, the points last much longer, no pitting, or burning out. :)

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
The points should begin to OPEN at the timing mark. It is irrelevant to ignition timing, as to when they become fully open.

You can use a buzz box or meter to determine when the points start to open but a strobe light is the best way to check for accurate ignition timing.

So, in nutshell, the points should fully open at some point AFTER the timing mark. Looks like nothing is wrong with your setup.

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "appoints" but like is said, fully open is irrelevant as is the points gap.
The point gap is pre-determined by the design of the points.

All you need to do is to make sure the points begin to open, exactly when the timing marks line up. That is all there is to it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts