Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that reads this might remember my oil/smoke thread thats been up recently. I hope its not dumb to start a new one but issues have changed. We are now only blowing a very light amount of smoke through both pipes..and my plugs are nice and black and sooty. I know that last part is to rich of mixture i.e. too much gas to air. I had B7ES spark plugs in but manual calls for B8es plugs. I put in the B8es plugs and to my surprise the smoke lessened but is still slightly discernable, and poor idling is still present. The left cyl. misses only slightly, but the right cylinder misses heavily...and I point the finger at this cylinder for making it run rough, and the problem is definately in the carbeurators. Now I've been through them as heavily as I'm comfortable with...all jets and things with holes in the bowl cleaned, air needles in upper half cleaned. And turning my mixture screws on the sides doesn't change anything. It ran real well with choke kept on, took it for a mile or so slow speed ride and it started to want to die, but when I threw the choke off my rpm's shot up above comfort level. So I believe her lies my problem. Any suggestions are appreciated! I'm getting so close!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I've done some searching on here and found a couple more things to ask about so someone can laugh at my ignorance :tongue: haha. My little rubber plugs that cover my pilot or whatever were pretty hardened so I put some fuel/oil resistant RTV around them so they would seal properly. bad idea? I can't find new ones anywhere! Are they designed to let some fuel through or completely seal? I ask as someone on another forum said his were missing altogether and he replaced them and BAM ran like new. odd eh?

·
Registered
522 Posts
If a jet is plugged then it means it will be drawing its supply via another (probably main) jet, so the plug has to be there.

Maybe your sealant has blocked the pilot-jet up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, certainly a possibility. the ultra black RTV by permatex is supposed to be heavily oil resistant and good to 500 degrees. But doesn't mean it would hold up to gasoline. My thoughts are that since it was alright and now is acting up is that perhaps the fuel has indeed ate away at the sealant and perhaps plugged those jets. Another thing, adjusting my mixture screws on the side doesn't change idle at all. The manual says thats a sign of something wrong in the carbs but what??? everything looks so fine! Thanks OneShadeOfGreen, I'll definately look! Do you know where I could get new little rubber plugs?

Oh, and for further information, I'm now getting puffs of black smoke when I rec it mid-range in neutral. another show running rich.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If your pilot-screw isn't changing anything then it's possible the pilot-circuit is blocked. You're best completely stripping the carbs until you just have the linked bodies, all jets, pilot-screws (including springs, washer and o-ring), float-valve etc all removed. No need to separate the carbs.

Use a carb-cleaner spray and compressed air and blow through all the jet-orifices and the pilot-outlets, everywhere you see an orifice or drilling (on the carb only :redface: )
Once you've done this use the cleaner and spray down the air jets (carb inlet), jet and pilot screw orifices to check they are clear visually ie look for liquid appearing at the pilot-outlet around the butterfly etc etc

Check the tip of the pilot-screw for damage/deformation before refitting it.

The only worry is the fact you say the revs go high when you kill the choke, maybe this is due to the tickover screw being wound in too far.

Sorry m8, no idea on the rubber-plug, maybe try to make one yourself.

Good luck chap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The jets under the cap I RTV'd in look just fine, clean clear passages. But there's a good chance your right that those pilot circuits are blocked...when i went through and cleaned the carbs I went hastily, and only really worried about all jets in the float bowl. Guess I might as well do her all in again and hope for the best. And it's looking like I will indeed have to make some up. The conclusino from searching this forum and another is that people have a very difficult time coming across them. I really appreciate your help fella, and i'll post up what I find tomorrow, too late for tonight.

-thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my were the carbs ever messed up again. Clearly, despite inline fuel filters I've got a LOT of junk in that gas tank, so while I'm going through the carbs I'm going to call around to have my tank stripped and lined. One odd thing though, I CANNOT remove my left side mixture screw. it moves freely in and out a good ways, but WILL NOT come out of the carb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got the mixture screw out, threads are messed up. woohoo. I got my hands on those little rubber plugs from a recreational vehicle dealer in the area named Nord-Ride. They called 'em "carb passage plugs" I got 4 plugs that are meant to go to a Honda, I chose these because they were clearly far too large for my bike. Then I had my dad (tool and dye guy) get them to size in a mill and fit nicely. Maybe that'll help, being sealed and not covered in RTV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts