Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Side posting - I am searching for a '75 muffler and speedometer/cable. A junk yard 8 hours away has a '73 or '74 muffler (no baffle in it), he wants $100 plus shipping, I'm going to offer less because I need to buy a baffle for it.

Question - will this '73 or '74 muffler work on my '75? I'm told that some years had springs others had bolts... I hope the junk yard can clarify what their muffler looks like. I don't have my original unfortunately it's been lost over the years at the farm.

What about the speedometer cables, are they the same even though they have different parts #'s? Maybe they might still work (I can't find my cable used or new anywhere, not on eBay). Part #54001-039. The KV100 is supposedly the sister bike to the G4TR-E and it's speedo cable is part #54001-053. Could I go with tge KV100 cable? I just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong part.

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
Your cylinder should provide the clues for bolt on or spring attached muffler on your bike.

Talk to your local dealer about your speedo cable. They should be able to bring in a KV100 cable and if it won't fit, you should be able to return it. I suspect the only difference is in length.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your cylinder should provide the clues for bolt on or spring attached muffler on your bike.

Talk to your local dealer about your speedo cable. They should be able to bring in a KV100 cable and if it won't fit, you should be able to return it. I suspect the only difference is in length.
Great suggestion about the local dealer. I believe the wheel end of the speedo cable has a slot in it and the speedometer end is just the square cable shape. Too bad I didn't have the remains of the original. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
What you describe is a pretty standard speedo cable. Fingers crossed that the KV cable works. Have you spun the front wheel while looking inside the hole to see if the mating slot is rotating?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you describe is a pretty standard speedo cable. Fingers crossed that the KV cable works. Have you spun the front wheel while looking inside the hole to see if the mating slot is rotating?
FYI - mating slot spins.

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
Good to know. Not much point in sourcing a new cable if the drive is shot and parts not available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts