Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,my name is nick.
i have a 76 kawasaki kz 750....i dont have the keys for it,the previous owner had it stored under his carport since 1999-2000,he recently put new plugs,new fuel filters.....he also didnt have the key.im assuming he never got it started.....he threw in our local dump on a pile of rocks( dented the tank,broke the turn signal lights.)

so i went dumpster diving after it.....no im not a bum...lol
ive already ran the numbers with my cycle shop....not hot....or atleast it not reported...lol

she make some compression,jump the solinoid she turns over.
it has no headlight,mising gear shifter,missing left foot pegs.
so now i have it,with out the key i cant use the ignition.
before i seek out the tittle for this bike and buy the missing throttle,foot pegs and gear shifter,i wanna hear it run.
ive unpluged the ignition,im looking at a 4 wire connection.
ill get a pic up soon.
i need to know what wires to connect my jumper to inorder to temporary bypass the ignition switch.
if she runs ill get a new keyset....the fuel tank is locked aswell.
im sure you guys know the answer to my question.
wire colors are blue,red,white,and brown.
i just dont want burn out a stator or something else by jumping the wrong wires.
if all goes well,and i aquire the tittle ill do a restore build and post up the progress.ill name it the dumpster project(or something along those lines)
thanx...ill go work on the pics

·
Burt Munro Is My Hero
665 Posts
I don't have an answer for you just yet, but this should be wildly useful to you in the meantime. It's the wiring diagram out of my service manual showing the diagram for the KZ750 B2, which I believe is what you have.

(Full size here)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do thank you very much for your time bro!
ill look over it tonight and see about getting fire.
ill let ya know my results tomorrow.
right now im off to look at a old kawasaki with a tittle for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do you tell which b model it is?
my numbers on the frame says kz750b-01 and a few other numbers as well
im assuming mine is a b1 then

·
Burt Munro Is My Hero
665 Posts

If your wiring is the same as mine (76 versus 78 ), the "on" condition will be satisfied if you jump across the the four-wire connector in the following way: white to brown and blue to red.

The starter can be actuated by running a jumper from the positive pole of the battery to the starter pole.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
If you want to start the bike, just take the tank off and find the ignition coil that is mounted under the tank. There are two wires going to the coli, and one of them has a bullet connector that connects to the harness. Unplug that connector and hook a wire from the positive terminal of a battery to the wire going to the coil. Connect the negative terminal on the battery to a good ground on the bike. Now you have spark (if everything is good), so spray a little of your favorite flammable substance in the carbs and kick it over.

If I recall correctly, the two wires going to the coil are blue and red, the red gets the 12 volts.

Look on the neck behind the headlight for the manufactured date, 07/75 to 06/76 is a 1976 B1. 07/76 to 06/77 is a 1977 B2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow ....thanx for all the info,and help guy's!
i jumed the wires....no fire.
i pulled the point cover off,passed some emery cloth.....pretty blue from points and plugs.
she wont start from the button though,have to jump the solenoid to roll her over.
when i press the button the dash light dims,but no sound from the solenoid or starter. ill have to look into this soon.

she makes compression,and fire....next task is fuel.
carbs need a proper cleaning im sure,i pulled the drain plugs....a brown oil like liquid driped out. smelled terrible.....taste foul too....just kidding on the taste part.
anyone know offhand the proper compression psi at wot with a wet cylinder?

sorry for any missing letters in some of my words,my computer isnt putting all the letters up........expensive p.o.s.
wiring mess pics below

have no idea what was here,someone recently installed fuses

and heres the fire!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
after pulling the carbs down....there pretty gummed up.
the right bank carb float is sticking pretty bad.
i guess ill start a project build on it soon.
ill find the right spot to post a build tomorrow.

once again guys thanx

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
A low mileage 750 twin in good condition will have ~170 psi of compression dry.
That's with proper valve adjustment.

Wet it should hit ~200, again with properly adjusted valves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanx for the info,ill put the guage on it tonight.
ill let ya know what she reads

my odometer reads 14k miles,but it may have flipped....after 99,999 i think it starts over like old fords.

edit:i ran the guage at wot(no carbs on it)....only reading 60 psi on both cylinders dry.
so i put a spoon full of lucas oil in there to let soak for a few hours.
im guessing the rings are sticking.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
im guessing the rings are sticking.
Probably sticking and may be some rust on the cyl walls. In addition to the oil you put in the cyl's I'd fog the cyl's with some PB Blaster or a good aerosol type penetrating oil. It's possible that the odometer rolled over but I seriously doubt it. If the odometer is still working that is probably original mileage and wouldn't be unusual on a bike that age/condition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in a few hours ill come back with some marvel mystry oil and carb cleaner for the carbs.
when i crank it by hand i can hear air through the air box,carbs are off,so it comming threw the case vent.
no sure if it sucking or blowing yet.
i gotta run,but will dig more into it this evening!

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
You bet you're going to hear air moving in and out of the crankcase!!
There's two big ole pistons in there that move up and down together, as they move down they force air out, as they move up they pull air back in.

14k original miles seems normal, I have three 750 twins and all are under 20k miles, two actually under 10k miles.

Compression check is pretty well useless if you don't make sure the valves are correctly adjusted first, and at 14k they may need adjusted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after sitting for 4 hours with a little oil in the cylinders,shes pumping out 125psi per cylinder.
now with more compression,the starter rolls the engine over 1 full turn then the starter just skips.
i guess ill post this in the project thread now

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you all for the help and advise guys.
shes now a running bike.
i have a few short vids posted in projects forum,under dumpster 76 kz750

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
thanx for all the help guys.
but i cannot obtain a tittle,so this project is over.
I'm fairly certain you can obtain a title using one of the title companies, although since I'm not a resident of LA I'm not certain it will work there.
Last time I checked it was $175 for a Maine Title and plates, that you later transfer to your home State.

I have/had two 750 twins that ended up as parts bikes due to problems with the titles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts