Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have just bought an old (1976) z750 twin.the chap who i bought it off,tried to make it into a chopper style bike.i am basically stripping the entire bike down to the frame,then re-building.the thing is, i want a much fatter (wider) rear tyre,than the one that is on there now.(a 140) - this is the widest the swing arm will allow.would it be possible for me to buy a different swing arm with a wider gap,to enable a wider tyre?hope someone can advise.thank you.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Once you exceed the swingarm width you have to consider what is this going to do to your chain. Every inch past the max width for stock swing arm will have to be offset 1" away from the chain. Could end up with a very offset rear tire and no longer in alignment with the front.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I'm not sure, though I reckon you will get answers here if you have some patience.
I'd also recommend not starting multiple threads in different sections asking the same question. Use your judgement, pick the most suitablt forum section (like this one in this instance) and post your query.
I've removed your other two identical threads as to not confuse matters. I also added your bike year and model to your thread title. Hope this helps out.

cheers.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Some people have gone to wider swingarms to accommodate wider tires but all that I'm aware of had to get offset sprockets for the front to match the new rear sprocket position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts