Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '77 KZ1000 with 83,000 miles. I need to replace gears on the input or output shaft. Can someone give me some tips on how to get started?

I am sure it's a problem with one of the shafts. When I pulled the oil pan recently, there were pieces of a spline washer in the pan. I ran it for another 3,000 miles, and it just locked up this week.

Please help!

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Congratulations on the 30 years. You are going to have to split the cases. Most of the details should be in your service manual. Also take pictures as you go. I find it is a good way of keeping track of what goes where even when you have a manual.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
I don't scrape gaskets any more either. Every since I found out that Dremel makes attachments similar to the ones for a die grinder. It's not as heavy duty/long lasting as the ones for a die grinder but if you already own a moto tool then there is not much expense to doing it this way.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
You know what happens when you use the Scotchbrite scrubby pads and a die grinder to remove gaskets from aluminum? You no longer have a flat mating surface.

I use a die grinder and scrubby pads on steel/iron, but never again on aluminum.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
You know what happens when you use the Scotchbrite scrubby pads and a die grinder to remove gaskets from aluminum? You no longer have a flat mating surface.

I use a die grinder and scrubby pads on steel/iron, but never again on aluminum.
only if your a moron and hold it there for 5 mins in the same spot and push like godzilla...have used them on everything from clutch covers to case halves.... have NEVER had a leak on customers bikes or my own for that matter.. they make 3 different kind,,fine,med,rough..... i use the fine/med 99% of the time... :mrgreen:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
You know what happens to that flat aluminum surface when you hold a sharp scraper at the wrong angle, it causes a gouge. Most methods of gasket removal have the potential to damage aluminum surfaces if used incorrectly.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
5 minutes and push like Godzilla on a air die grinder with a maroon scotchbrite pad?

It's really not nice to call someone you don't even know a moron, especially someone that started turning wrenches in 1961 :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's all in the attitude for gasket scrapping. I enjoy the diligence and exercise and the rewarding result of a good gasket scrape, like creating a fine musical piece with your favorite horn.

But, on topic, splitting the cases is a lot of work, and high focus on dis- and re-assembly procedures. So meditate for a day or two, then jump into the hard work. Brave man to ride with known spline damage. Quick de-clutching might not release the lock up in a high speed sweeper.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts

Hard to believe we actually agree once in a great while :D
I will never use those scotchbrite wheels on a mating surface . Let me be clear , NEVER.
I use a chisel tip exacto blade in an all aluminum handle for most small work , a KD tools scraper for medium work and an actual chisel for extreme cases . Once the bulk of the gasket is removed I apply various sizes of sharpening stone to the remainder using a bit of oil to help dissolve what is left and keep the parting surface as flat as possible . Repeated use of the scotchbrite wheels destroys the parting line , rounds off the edges , and creates possible leaks no mater how careful you are .

I've had to make do the best I could when confronted by an owner or previous mechanic that has destroyed a parting line this way including complete disassembly and surface milling in the worst case .

I've fired three otherwise good mechanics that refused to heed this . One is here on this forum and has seen the error of his ways in later years as his previous work comes back to haunt him . He may or may not answer up .(feel free to tell them what kind of bastich I am to work for :D) Steell and myself @ 30+ years each and another @ 15+ years of experience that can tell you this isn't a good idea .

Far from being yet another oil, tire pressure , car tire , loud pipe , Wilma or Betty , Ginger or Maryanne topic the use of powered abrasives for gasket removal is just wrong .

For the youngsters and know it alls out there that want to take a shot go right ahead . I've shared my experience and I'm done with ya. If you want to take exception with my experience go right ahead but don't expect a war of words . I have far to thick a skin to be sucked into that bs .

~kop

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Hard to believe we actually agree once in a great while :D
I will never use those scotchbrite wheels on a mating surface . Let me be clear , NEVER.
I use a chisel tip exacto blade in an all aluminum handle for most small work , a KD tools scraper for medium work and an actual chisel for extreme cases . Once the bulk of the gasket is removed I apply various sizes of sharpening stone to the remainder using a bit of oil to help dissolve what is left and keep the parting surface as flat as possible . Repeated use of the scotchbrite wheels destroys the parting line , rounds off the edges , and creates possible leaks no mater how careful you are .

I've had to make do the best I could when confronted by an owner or previous mechanic that has destroyed a parting line this way including complete disassembly and surface milling in the worst case .

I've fired three otherwise good mechanics that refused to heed this . One is here on this forum and has seen the error of his ways in later years as his previous work comes back to haunt him . He may or may not answer up .(feel free to tell them what kind of bastich I am to work for :D) Steell and myself @ 30+ years each and another @ 15+ years of experience that can tell you this isn't a good idea .

Far from being yet another oil, tire pressure , car tire , loud pipe , Wilma or Betty , Ginger or Maryanne topic the use of powered abrasives for gasket removal is just wrong .

For the youngsters and know it alls out there that want to take a shot go right ahead . I've shared my experience and I'm done with ya. If you want to take exception with my experience go right ahead but don't expect a war of words . I have far to thick a skin to be sucked into that bs .

~kop
Dennis likes to use oil to soften a gasket, while I like to use DOT3 brake fluid. Either works well, gasket's LOTS easier to scrape when soft. Now, when I scraped HUNDREDS of Mitsubishi 4G63 head gaskets after a timing belt break. I used a whizz wheel on the iron BLOCK and soaked the head gasket surface in brake fluid and scraped with a proper gasket scraper. Now, I use an MLS gasket. Isn't technology good?

For the record, it's Rotella, recommended, BT45, 4:1, Betty, Marianne, and NEVER on Aluminum.

I HAVE put a motor together in the pits with a Snap-On impact gun. It only needed to last about ten seconds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.