Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MINI Madness
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm probably going to be picking up a 1977 KZ650 Saturday, and wanted some insight...The owner said the bike is in excellent condition, except the tachometer doesn't work. That's all he described, so I'm a bit curious.

Now, my dad owns a 1977 KZ1000 LTD, and said it could either be the cable, the tach itself, or a gear inside the motor.

My question is, if it turns out to be the tach or gear, how to I get a hold of one? I can't seem to find them.

Thanks,
-Cody

·
Registered
11,328 Posts

·
MINI Madness
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, does anyone have any idea how to trouble shoot the problem myself? I ended up picking it up for $1k, and it's in pretty good shape. The guy said he bought a new tach cable for it, and took it to a mechanic, who said the gear was missing. Now, I'm not sure if he tore it apart or was just assuming...

Anyway, is there an easy way to tell if I need the gear, minus taking apart the engine?

-Cody

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Try this: disconnect the tach cable from the engine, using a cordless drill, slowly rotate the cable and see if the tach responds. I'm not sure about the rotation,but I'd think it would be in the direction the cable is twisted.

If the tach responds, then the problem may be in the gear coming off the cam shaft, so then disconnect the cable from the tach and see if you can by hand, twist the cable looking for resistance from the camshaft.

·
MINI Madness
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I'll try that, thanks guys.

I have another question for you. It seems that the seat height on my dads 77' KZ1000 LTD is 30.5" and the 650 is 31.5." Does anyone know for sure if the LTD seat will fit on the 650 frame? Dennis Kirk has it listed under a 77' KZ650, but I want to double check before ordering one.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...re=&catId=&productId=p39425&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Thanks,

-Cody

·
MINI Madness
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha, I'll get some today. I'm going to try and figure out the tach problem so I can order parts, and I'll snap a few. I have to go to church though....so it'll be a little bit!

-Cody

·
MINI Madness
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I'm trying to find if this seat:

Travelcade LTD Seat Kit - DennisKirk.com

will fit a regular 650B. Under fitment on the website, it lists the KZ650B, and does NOT have LTD next to it. Can anyone confirm that this seat will work?

And to update you guys, I tested the tach, and it's the gear that needs to be replaced. The cable and tach itself are good. Anyone know how difficult that task is?

Here are some pics. Don't mind the stuff in the background...like my dirty car LOL. The garage is pretty full, and it's really cold here.

I picked it up for $1k, has 6,4xx miles on it, and it's in pretty good condition! The color was repainted to a Hyundai color, not sure which...

I'm going to hopefully get the LTD seat, take off the backrest, get it cleaned up some more, and a few other minors things. I might repaint it down the line if I decide to keep it for a while. I would also like to get a Kerker, but unless I find a used one, I'm not spending nearly $600 for a new one.

-Cody

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Wow! Thats a sweet bike you stole! I kinda like the seat thats on the bike except for the creases along the sides. Yup, Thats a very nice bike! Theres a guy on this forum who is a 650 expert, I think his handle is rstnick, you might PM him and get some answers, his bike is awesome and he seems to be well schooled on exchangeable parts for the 650s. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Your exhaust pipe has turned color due to the fact most if not all aftermarket builders use single wall tubing. The Japanese use double wall tubing hiding the discoloration.

If you sparkplugs are burning a light tan on the center electrode, your probably about right. White is too lean, and black to rich.

Compression testing should show a mimimum of 125 PSI for the engine to make power, although I've read some riders are still running at 90 PSI.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.