Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I felt good after filing the oversized rings and getting the motor back together so it was time to tackel the carbs. The guy I bought the bike from apparently tried this and there was a few pieces missing (not to mention he didn't bother to clean anything). I bought carb rebuild kits, soaked everything in carb cleaner (for more than a week) and started puting them back together tonight.
The manual I have shows the pilot mixture screw going in with a sping and o-ring. This came with the kit. I tried and it will not screw in. Looking into the sleves where they go (on each carb) there seems to be a small lip about halfway down but no threads. I tried blowing some air through this and it seems solid. I filled it with carb cleaner and it didn't drain out.

So the question - did KZ use different carbs on the 650 in 1977 and could it be possible that there is another type of screw that goes in this one?
I don't get the fact that nothing flows through it.

While I'm at it, question 2. The kit(s) came with 4 jets in each. Which one should I use (I can't read any markings on the old ones)?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Kawasaki.com shows 7 different sizes on the main jet for those carbs. Not sure which one you need. You might try getting a magnifying glass and hold them under a bright light looking with the mag. glass and be able to see something. If that doesn't help try getting it wet and look again. The different sizes were probably for running at elevation, California, racing, etc. Did you remove the old mixture crews and if not are you sure you are looking in the right place? (Just wanted to check the obvious not implying you don't know what your doing) :D Not sure if the 77 had the little aluminum cap over the mixture screw or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
StarGate, I'm not sure I know what I'm doing either :). I took the carbs apart several weeks ago - which was my first mistake, I should have waited until I was going to clean them.
I look at the diagram in the manual to make sure I'm installing in the right place. The place where I think the pilot mixing screw goes is the only thing that goes through the bowl so in my logical (or not so logical) mind the location makes sense.
My thought is that the mixing screws I received with the kit (which match the diagram) are not the ones used on this carb since I can't see threads in the tube but there are threads on the screw. The new one (and the picture) looks like a thumb screw top with a slot across it.
I'll go out and buy a magnifying glass, these old eyes can't see close up even with reading glasses.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went out and bought a magnifying glass. It's amazing, I can see close up!! And now for the intersting stuff. The sleve where the pilot mixture screw goes has no threads (?). It looks like it's plugged at the bottom, but where the slide bottoms out there is a small hole (which I assume is where the screw moves the slide up. I don't remember taking this screw out and I went through everything that came out of the carbs and could not find it. I do remember a few springs falling out while soaking in carb cleaner.

Now I'm more then confused as to how to adjust the air/gas mixture without this screw.

I installed the 102.5 mains, the other 3 in the kits were smaller. I set the needle at the 4th groove from the top (recommended in the manual). I'll be using pod filters since the stock set up is a pain to take on and off, and until I get this thing just right I'll be pulling it apart a lot.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I have pod filters on my bike. The instant I have a chance they will be history. I'm putting back the stock airbox. I grow weary of trying to adjust for performance. Those carbs were designed to operate properly with the airbox and nothing else really serves the purpose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a '76 B1 z650.

the pilot mixture screw you want from the kit has a needle sharp point. it screws into the intake side of the carb bottom. if there are no threads in your carbs for pilot screws then they're probably cactus. you can get the diagram, and all diagrams for different parts, off kawasaki.com. it's gold! it'll show you where it goes.

i have 102 main jets, airbox with K&N filter. don't bother with pods. they look ugly, suck too much air (and water). go with how it was originally intended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts