Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a 1978 kz 1000 the police model never had one of these so i dont know much. i finally got it to run right. it was runing and driving fine and after my ride i parked it, and went to get back on it for another ride only to find out it will not shift running or not. it clicks as if its shifting but nothing, i have already adjusted the clutch cable, i have no idea where to look next help!!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Tried adjusting the clutch play? Open up the small square cover on the left side of the engine above the shifter area.

Inside you will find a slotted screw with a lock nut,this adjusts the play between the clutch push rod and the clutchfriction plates.

To adjust the clutch properly do this:

1. Shorten the clutch cable as much as possible at the handlebar adjuster and at the mid-way adjuster.

2. Loosen the lock nut on the slotted screw under the small square cover.

3. Turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until it becomes hard to turn.

4. Turn the adjusting screw 1/4 turn clockwise and tighten the lock nut without changing the position of the adjusting screw.

5. Adjust the cable using the handlebar and mid-way adjusters for correct clutch operation.

Clutch cables stretch and friction surfaces wear over time, so it's a maintenance item to be checked once in a while.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Take the sprocket cover off of the left side and see if the sprocket is still on the output shaft and if the nut is still there.

If you can shift "up" more than once with the motor running, then the sprocket has probably slid off the shaft.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If it is like my 1981 KZ550 (???) I think that there is a bunch of shifting gear accesible under that aluminum cover right behind the gearbox sprocket. It will be some ugly greasy work, but good for the soul. Sometimes our local cops beat the living 'ell out of these bikes because they wanted Harleys, and one way to get their wish was to "prove" early service failure of the JapScrap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.