Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new when it comes to fixing up bikes. I just bought a KZ650 and I am smelling gas and oil. The smell is filling up the garage and now my bike will die after riding it for a few blocks.

I am hoping that someone has gone through this and has an idea of what I can do to fix this problem. If there is anything I can do to get you more information, please let me know. Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not an expert, but as no one else has chimed in yet…

Are you turning off the petcock under the tank when you shut it off? If not and you have a sticky carb float this will let gas overflow the carbs (assuming one that age has carbs?). If that is the case, you can bend a rod if the cylinider overfills with gas (liquids being non-compressible).

Pull the plugs and see if they are wet or dry.

If you are new to riding also, it may be best not to ride while it is having maintenance issues. New rider and balky bike can be a bad combination.

Brian

·
Registered
264 Posts
I thought it was very sound advice :)

Maybe mnifa was attempting to quote? I still get turned around in here sometimes :)

My bike sleeps in a cleaned out hay shed. I smell some "bike smells" when I walk in. Very pleasant. Best thing after the smell of a horse. Ever seen gas on the floor? Check your oil. If your level is going up, fix the leak, and change the oil before you ride it.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts