Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike seems to run well, but from the 2nd cylinder (from the left if you are sitting on the bike) it looks like there is oil (or black gas?) getting blown through the exhaust a little when it first is warming up. once the motor is hot it doesnt do this. a little bit leaks out of where the header meets the head of the second cylinder. the motor was just rebuilt a few hundred miles ago with a big bore (i think 700cc+). i pulled the carbs and replaced the jets, but not there's not much difference. could it be another issue in the carbs? or does that sound like something more serious? thanks, i'm new at this!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
jsuhre,

Anytime you fool with the carbs all kinds for problems can be created if they aren't reinstalled correctly. I had to have my carbs resynced after Mack took them off and cleaned them. We didn't know how to do that part....so I paid my mechanic to do it. It cleared up all of the problems and now the bike is running at 100% instead of 80%

Heather

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is the header hot? It should heat up at the same rate as the other cylinders. Mine did this...the Header was cold, and there was a miss...#2 not firing at all. I switched plugs with #1 (after drying the plug off) and #1 started doing it, . It was a bad plug (NGK) only 300 miles old. Kzrider.com guys say this is common. So...if #2 isn't firing, its a starting point, and potential cheap fix. Still use NGK plugs BTW.

Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, ill try switching those plugs and see what happens! thanks for the help everyone..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i switched the plugs..no luck...so i guess it has to be the second cylinder carb? could it be getting too much fuel and just not running the second cylinder because of that? and idea on what to check/fix would help! thanks

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
The number four plug on the 750 was not firing right. IT was not burning clean, I was getting rough idle and slow throttle response. I changed my plugs, didn't help. Checked the voltage through the wire...it was good. Compression on the cylinder...good. Last ditch effort was to call my mechanic friend. From my verbal description of the problem he knew right away what the problem was. He said the carburator needed to be adjusted. I did not want to risk adjusting the fuel mix on all four carbs myself. So on a trailer it went for a 100 mile ride to him. He adjusted the air mix on all carbs (had to remove the plugs covering the adjusting screws). Bike runs perfect now.

do everything you are confident in doing, eliminate all the big stuff and know when to take it to the mechanic.

Three things effect bike performance ----air, fuel and spark . If your air filter is clean and you are getting good fire the next thing is fuel.

Good luck on getting it running right.

Mack

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
jsuhre - Is that an accelerator pump KZ650 carb? Is the #2 bowl larger with gas hoses connecting to the other float bowls?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, it is the carb you described with the larger #2 bowl. it seems im getting spark, the wire is fine, and compression is fine..do you think i should just take it to a kawasaki dealer and have them do the carb adjustment then?

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
jsuhre said:
yes, it is the carb you described with the larger #2 bowl. it seems im getting spark, the wire is fine, and compression is fine..do you think i should just take it to a kawasaki dealer and have them do the carb adjustment then?
If some of the horror stories I've read around the 'Net about taking an older bike to the shop are to be believed, I'd advise spending a bit of time working on it yourself. I too had the same problem, but mine was the result of improper re-assembly of the jet needle. One likely culprit is the vacuum diaphragm on the bottom of the #2 carb bowl. If it develops a tear fuel will be pulled into the throat of the carb.

Another possibility is the diaphragm in the fuel tap. Vacuum from the #2 carb is used to open the fuel tap. Likewise a tear in this diaphragm will allow excess fuel to be drawn into the #2 cylinder.

A remote possibility is a plugged air pilot passage that routes air to the pilot jet. If that's the case, then I'd recommend a good cleaning of all the carbs.

Finally, float height plays a critical role especially when the bike is running on the sidestand. Right now my #3 cylinder will flood out when on the sidestand. Once it's upright for a few seconds it cleans right up and runs fine. So, it's always possible that some foreign matter is keeping the float from seating.

When I first noticed the problem I thought that it was an electrical problem. I was able to swap plugs and wires (thanks to Accel coils being installed) and the problem remained. I was able to solve it somewhat when testing by pulling the vacuum meter cap off the intake boot thus leaning the mixture enough to let it fire.

HTH,

- Nate >>

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I am lucky . I went to school with my mechanic. He was riding kawis when he was little. You can ask around to check out the shops reputation before you go there. Even ask the shop for references. Most good shops are more than happy to do that.

Carbs aren't something to be messed with if you aren't sure of what you are doing. You can have it so messed up that the only way to fix it is to take it tp a mechanic.

It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Mack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a good place to order the carb diaphragms online? i check them and they both look really bad. thanks!

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
I bought a set from a vendor that posts them on eBay. If you find the auction you can backtrack to their main website and buy them direct. You can also check with ronayers.com or bikebandit.com. To get a price from Ron Ayers just plug the following Kawasaki part numbers into the search box. Diaphragm, pump--43028-1012, Diaphragm, sensor--43028-1010.

If you go to http://www.buykawasaki.com you can drill down and see the actual parts diagram for your carbs. I went and printed all the parts diagrams and parts lists out and have them in a three ring binder which is very handy out in the garage.

- Nate >>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts