Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first kz its a 1979 kz1000 police model i got it runing and driving fine but when i parked it and went back for a ride it seems to be stuck in nuetral. it clicks as if it is shifting but nothing cannot find any gears with it running or not! i have adjusted clutch cable and play what else can i check!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Does the Neutral light go off? If not, try rocking the bike forward and back and try to put into first while doing that. If the light does turn off but it's still not moving when you release the clutch try this - I dunno if this is on the kz1000 but on the sprocket cover there might be two screws holding on a cover, remove those and there will be a screw with a lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and loosen the screw until there is no resistance, then tighten it until there is just barely any resistance then go another 1/4 turn. If the screw is in too much it will disengage the clutch too much so it won't mesh or it will barely mesh at all(bad news for the clutch plates!). If that's the case then the bike is in first but no power will go to the sprocket, so you won't move. Good luck!

·
WFO Enthusiast
89 Posts
It will only shift into neutral or 1st when the bike isn't rolling. So, like Beans says...if the neutral light goes out, you either need to adjust the clutch or the clutch plates are toast. If the neutral light stays on but it feels like its shifting, then you may have shift drum or shift pawl issues. Take off the oil filler cap and take a sniff. If it smells burnt thats a good sign the clutch plates are burned up and will need replacement. If you clutch is adjusted correctly you should have a little freeplay on the clutch lever before you feel resistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts