Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get started Im going to just put it out that Im an idiot when it comes to motors, hence the cause for this post, Im putting a 79' kz1000 st back together and I over filled it with oil by about 2.5 qaurts and then idled it at 2 1/2k rpm with the choke on, the seat was off and I can see into the stock air box about 15 seconds after the bike started oil started blowing into the airbox from the hose that comes from the gearbox, please tell me what I screwed up.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I don't have a clue what you screwed up, as I haven't seen the motor, but what you described is exactly what would happen if you overfilled the motor with oil.

All that extra oil has to go somewhere, and out the vent is the obvious choice. Drain the oil down to the correct level and try it again and see what happens :)

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,703 Posts
Before I get started Im going to just put it out that Im an idiot when it comes to motors, hence the cause for this post, Im putting a 79' kz1000 st back together and I over filled it with oil by about 2.5 qaurts and then idled it at 2 1/2k rpm with the choke on, the seat was off and I can see into the stock air box about 15 seconds after the bike started oil started blowing into the airbox from the hose that comes from the gearbox, please tell me what I screwed up.
You already had the answer , you screwed up by telling us you screwed up :D

Kidding aside , Steell is right (gawd I hate sayin that ) . The oil level when correct is below the gears in the transmission . With it overfilled 2.5 or more quarts the gear cluster tosses it all over the place and the breather is where it comes out from . Another reason that it may have escaped so readily is after sitting for a long period of time there is probably plenty of blowby past the piston rings .

~kop

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thats what the view glass is in the clutch cover for. So you can see how much oil you put in the bike. You have the lower and upper line for your level. Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts