Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike that I resurrected has never run properly. For instance, if I accelerate quickly, it'll bog down and almost die then take off. The bike is also much weaker than it should be. When I took off the carbs, all that I did was clean them out, I didn't do any tuning.

That said, here are my planned steps.

1. Purchase the Dyna-S Electronic Ignition so I don't have to work with the points and timing. Is this a worthy investment?

2. Do the wired george mod. I am getting about 12.5 amps at the coils.

3. Sync the carbs. I am really considering just taking this somewhere since it seems like it's really a pain, unless someone can convince me that it's not as bad as I think.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Have you done a compression test? If valve clearances are too tight and the valves aren't sealing properly, anything else that is done will be for naught.

I installed Dyna S ignitions on both of my '650s and the starting of them is much easier and the idle is smoother. They each have an ACCEL coil set on them and the power relay mod.

Syncing the carbs is not hard, it's just that most people opt not to buy the $100 (or so) tool to do it with or make their own tool. Otherwise, it's a process that requires a bit of patience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I have not tried a compression test. I'll do some searching on how to do that.

So you think the electric ignition is worth it then? I'll probably pick one of those up. I may even try and do the WG mod this weekend.

·
KZ Kool!
2,819 Posts
Compression test in a nutshell.

Get a compression gauge (reasonably priced at automotive parts stores).

Kawasaki specifies to do the check with the engine hot.

Pull the spark plugs (removing all of them helps the starter spin the engine freely--they'll be HOT!).

Thread the end of the hose of the compression gauge into #1 cylinder (1st on your left while straddling the bike). The plugs on the 650s use the larger thread size so the gauge may have included an adapter that threads on to fit.

Hold the throttle wide open and then spin the engine with the electric starter. Spin it long enough so that the gauge needle stops rising. 15 seconds or so is usually more than enough.

Record the reading. Ideally 140 to 150 PSI is "perfect" while anything above 125 PSI is rideable.

Repeat for the other three cylinders.

Compare the readings and if one or more cylinders are considerably lower (10% or more or thereabouts) than the highest reading, checking the valve tappet clearance would be the next step.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have owned my sr650 for about 10 years now and have rebuilt it a couple of times so have pretty much ran into anything that can go wrong. I used to have the same problem as you and tried the rebuild on the carbs a few times. The fact is, those carbs are a royal pain in the rear and have more ports than you can shake a stick at, many more than a normal mechanic without the specialty can handle. My advise is to find a shop that specializes in the old kawis and a mechanic that has worked on them for years to do the rebuild. They will set and sinq them at the same time. A good mechanic will charge between $150 and $250 for the carbs and accelerator pump rebuild. Another note to save some cash. Buy the rebuild kits and give the mechanic them with the carbs. Motorcycle Parts, Bike Accessories & Motorcycle Apparel - Old Bike Barn has the kits for about $23 each and the individual parts can be gotten at bikbandits.com too. If your in the Tampa, FL, Naples,FL, or Wichita, KS area or are willing to ship your carbs there I can recommend some great mechanics that work at a good price. My favorite is a guy that runs a shop in Naples,FL that rebuilt mine, went through the wiring and changed the oil plus a few other little thing for $250. His thing is that the faster you want it, the more expensive it gets. It took him about 3 weeks for the price I got. The shop is Fred Cylces in Naples, FL 239-455-2882

1 - 5 of 5 Posts