Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 79 ltd400 in great shape for just $400. Everything is in perfect working order mechanically, and cosmetically for the most part. Problem is I really am tempted to do some modifications to have more of that vintage cafe racer look that the original kz's have. My main issue is with the seat and handlebars. The handlebars seem to be an easy and inexpensive fix, but the seat is another story. As comfortable as it is, I really don't like the look of the stock king/queen seat, and the angled frame of the ltd models makes it impossible to swap in a straight seat from a kz.

The way I see it, I have two options and I need some input to help me decide which route to go.

Option A: Replace the handlebars with lower ones, possibly stock kz400 type and have the seat pan fitted with a custom made straight seat.

Option B: Buy an old kz400 frame and swap everything over while changing to a stock kz400 seat, tank and bars.

Either route doesn't seem too expensive, at least considering the price I paid for the bike and what I'd likely have paid for a kz400 in similar shape. I'm not worried about tearing the whole bike down, if anything it'd be a fun project. On the other hand just getting a custom seat would be less work, I just don't know how expensive that would be.

I guess the last option is to just let the bike be and accept it for what it is.:tongue: It is a decent looking bike but the prospect of a vintage cafe racer has me scheming up plans and possibly getting myself into trouble :wink:
Thanks for any input

·
Gasket Killer
120 Posts
I guess it would depend on how your fab skills are. I thought about doing that with my KZ1000, until my wife said she wanted to ride as well (always ruining my fun! :D ).

But I wanted to do some rear controls, drag bars, re-rake the front end with a different head unit (from something a little stouter to get away from the head shake), cut the back off behind the driver's portion of seat and have the seat pan redone to reflect more of a cafe seat. But I can weld, bend tubing, have a plasma cutter and generally have no issues with cutting anything apart and putting it back together.

So, if you want to do it, I'd say go for it. Maybe you can even cut off what you don't want after talking with a welder to see what they can do for you. Cutting the seat pan after talking with an upholsterer wouldn't be that difficult either. You'd just have to discuss your plans with the appropriate person that will be doing the work BEFORE you do anything to make sure you're both on the same page. ;)

But make her your own. That's the fun part. If you want to do it, pull the trigger. You're not getting any younger!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
changed my mind on this one, just bought an 81 kz550a for $150. this bike satisfies my desire for the cafe racer look :-D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts