Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know this topic has been beaten to death. However I couldn't find anything on anyone going +8 on the cables and if that was long enough or if it was to tight when bars are turned. I want to order my cables in the next couple of days and i don't want to have to return them or break something. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Unless there is someone here with the exact same bike as yours the best thing to do is install the handlebars on your bike and measure how much longer it needs to be.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Unless there is someone here with the exact same bike as yours the best thing to do is install the handlebars on your bike and measure how much longer it needs to be.

I agree.......that's how I did it when I installed my 16's. It also depends on what angle fittings you use on the hoses. I used 45 degree fittings. Some like 90's. Depends on the look that you want. I went plus +10 on the hoses with 45 degree fittings on my clutch and brake. I also went +10 on the throttle cables, but could have gotten away with +8..........but like "mumbles" said, we don't ride the same model bike.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I agree.......that's how I did it when I installed my 16's. It also depends on what angle fittings you use on the hoses. I used 45 degree fittings. Some like 90's. Depends on the look that you want. I went plus +10 on the hoses with 45 degree fittings on my clutch and brake. I also went +10 on the throttle cables, but could have gotten away with +8..........but like "mumbles" said, we don't ride the same model bike.
That's right buddy, I learned the hard way with the 1st apes I had a few years back. Wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else man, them cables are expensive.

Also depends on what risers the bike has. Stock or aftermarket.

ride safe my friend,
mumbles

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's not that hard. Know your stock measurements. Take the difference of the new bars and there you have it. Remember to take the difference between 3 measurements individually, them add them up: Rise, pullback, and width. Usually, going from stock to 16" apes uses +8".

Use this link to find your stock bar size:
Stock Motorcycle Handlebar Measurements

You'll be good to order now if you do the math right,
Good Luck!

Tony Franciscus

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's not that hard. Know your stock measurements. Take the difference of the new bars and there you have it. Remember to take the difference between 3 measurements individually, them add them up: Rise, pullback, and width. Usually, going from stock to 16" apes uses +8".

Use this link to find your stock bar size:
Stock Motorcycle Handlebar Measurements

You'll be good to order now if you do the math right,
Good Luck!

Tony Franciscus

That all sounds good on paper, but those of us that have done it, realize that it always doesn't work out that way. I would recommend, for a first timer, mounting the bars and fittings, then taking very careful measurements if you want them to come out the way you want. Some like them tight to the bars, some like the looping look. Regardless of how he chooses to do it, I'm not going to get into a peeing contest on this one.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
That all sounds good on paper, but those of us that have done it, realize that it always doesn't work out that way. I would recommend, for a first timer, mounting the bars and fittings, then taking very careful measurements if you want them to come out the way you want. Some like them tight to the bars, some like the looping look. Regardless of how he chooses to do it, I'm not going to get into a peeing contest on this one.
I'll second that. I mock-installed my bars first, then figured out how much longer than stock the extended ss lines would need to be.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
+2

I'm with you bud, last time I tried to explain this It got ugly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some are better at math, some are better at visuals, do what's best for you. It's all good. I have 16" bars, +8 on lines. Forget about this discussion, let's talk about the best way we run the lines internally in the bars. Cotton ball on thread blown at one end of the bar gets my wires started. Any better ways?

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I jumped the gun and ordered 16" apes and 10 over cables and brake hose based on what others had posted here....I desided to trust their experiences better than my measuring abilities. Turned out mine were a little too long and I had to add riser extensions bring the bars up another 3".

I think measuring and maybe even just ordering 1 cable to start with to test fit first is what I should have done.

All 16" apes are not created equal if you know what I mean. The shape of the bars including the width could easily affect the length of cable needed. In other words one make of 16" apes could require 10 over...another set might just need 8 over.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Some are better at math, some are better at visuals, do what's best for you. It's all good. I have 16" bars, +8 on lines. Forget about this discussion, let's talk about the best way we run the lines internally in the bars. Cotton ball on thread blown at one end of the bar gets my wires started. Any better ways?
Sometimes you just need to know the right cus words.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Here's some pics of what I ran into with my cables. This is my 16" bars for a Harley (non-dimpled) and +10 Barnett cables and Galfer brake hose....too loopy for me.

Then with 3" riser extensions to take the slack out.

·
V 2win
444 Posts
Yeah, I know this topic has been beaten to death. However I couldn't find anything on anyone going +8 on the cables and if that was long enough or if it was to tight when bars are turned. I want to order my cables in the next couple of days and i don't want to have to return them or break something. Thanks guys.
If you decide to go 10" over I have a set of 10 over throttle cables for my 06 Classic I'd sell for 1/2 price. Barnett brand SS with vinyl covering never used . If interested PM me.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The 1st pic should be deleted if it were'nt for the little bitties posing by the Kaw making it look good. LOL

Good idea on the riser extensions on the 2nd pic. Nice clean bike too.

·
Father Guidosarducci
565 Posts
With stock riser from a classic and my 13" paucho apes, I used +6 for the cables and I could've got away with +4 for the brake line on my custom. just wanted to give you some more info

·
99%er
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ordered my throttle cables the other day. I went with +8. Should good i think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts