Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you 800 classic owners with them lovely spoke rims, what is the best way to clean the rims and around the chain. I was thinking of simple green as a degreaser but is there any trick to cleaning around the spokes?

Thanks for any tips!

LJ

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just an idea. When it's time to replace the chain and sprockets. Why not replace them with a replacement belt kit? The kit includes everything needed to make the swap. No more goo on the spokes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
chain goo

I use WD-40 or any penetrating oil.Seems to work the fastest,but the spokes are tough .One thing I did do was switch to a wax based chain lube instead of oil.There is not near the mess.Just one of those things to live with with a chain drive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've heard mixed results on that belt drive kit, Sgt. Some swear by it as it reduces noise and chain goo, needs less adjustment, and has better response. Others have said that it's an unreliable product and can be dangerous if it fails (not to mention the $700 price tag). Just what I've heard, no direct experience.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Before I switched to a chain wax, I used kerosene and a paint brush to get the worst gunk off, then WD40 and a rag. You can tear an old cotton sheet or just cut up some old towels (remember I said *old* towels) into 2" strips, get them good and wet with WD40, then just wrap it around each spoke and pull back and forth a few times, running up and down the spoke. Since I switched to the chain wax ("New" Bel-Ray Super Clean), I don't really get any fling off. The wheels wipe clean when washing, I haven't had to do a major cleaning all year. The trick to the chain wax though is that you have to spray it on when the chain is warm! That lets the wax melt then it sticks. If you spray it on a cold chain, it flings off just like oil or regular chain lube. Not a big deal, you just spray the chain as soon as you get back from your ride.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well! PickYourPockets, you just might have one heck of a good argument not to make such a swap, $700.00 is bad enough but if it's unreliable and can be dangerous to boot, leave well enough alone. Replacing the chain and sprockets has got to be less expensive.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Here's a thread from another forum with a semi balanced opinion of the SW beltdrive:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/strictlyace750/messages
Look under "Help", "Belt drive failures"
I was considering this mod for my Ace but ended up with the Mean Streak instead. My wife will be keeping her Spirit for awhile but after reading the above thread, I think I'll pass. Chain maintenance isn't too bad with the new wax stuff. The reason I was considering the belt was because of the cost of chain/sprocket replacement, it will run about $289 for parts. Even if I do it myself I'm looking at $300. Frankly I was shocked at the price and also that my ACE was due for a chain after only 14,000kms. My wifes Spirit has 12,000kms with lots of life left on it. I have seen posts with riders claiming 20,000 *miles* from their chains. I'm obviously heavier than my wife (200lbs vs 120lbs) and ride more aggresively but did I just over tighten my chain or something? I lube it every 600km, I don't even wait till the 800km recommended in the manual. My sprockets still look good but I'm at the end of my adjustment. What does everybody average for chain life? and do you change your sprockets every chain or every 2nd chain?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

on my chained bikes i'll run 15-20k on a chain then change both sproks
and chain - some folks say i could go longer but i could see a little wear
in every case and i don't skimp on tires and drivetrains and i got a thing
for fresh components :lol:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I replaced my chain an sprockets at 15,000 mi. But I was lowering the gear ratio, so I decided to replace the chain . Could of gone longer but I didn't . The price you mentioned is a little over twice what it would cost down hear. If I went with a little cheaper chain the price would be about a third . Bummer

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
So how do you guys go 15K + miles on a chain? When you check/adjust the chain do you have someone sit on the bike? or is it just on the kickstand (that's how I always adjusted mine, as per the manual)? I'm selling my Ace in the spring but my wife really likes her Spirit so I'll be maintaining that bike for awhile. She's got 12,000kms on her chain now but I don't think it'll make it to 24,000km (15k miles) like you guys are getting. Just want to make sure I'm doing this properly so the chain lasts. I thought I was adjusting my Ace as per the manual but I obviously was doing something wrong to only get 14,000km (8700 mi).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've yet to try this, but someone suggested using a shoe lace to clean spokes. Seems it would work good to me.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Great idea Rodger! My wife won't be impressed though, what are all these broken laces doing in the drawer? :) Maybe I'll get away with it though, it's her bike that I need them for.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
bross said:
So how do you guys go 15K + miles on a chain? When you check/adjust the chain do you have someone sit on the bike? or is it just on the kickstand (that's how I always adjusted mine, as per the manual)? I'm selling my Ace in the spring but my wife really likes her Spirit so I'll be maintaining that bike for awhile. She's got 12,000kms on her chain now but I don't think it'll make it to 24,000km (15k miles) like you guys are getting. Just want to make sure I'm doing this properly so the chain lasts. I thought I was adjusting my Ace as per the manual but I obviously was doing something wrong to only get 14,000km (8700 mi).

Sounds like you are overtightening. You need to sit on the bike and reach down to check it. Overtightening can cause premature wear. I think most tolerances are 1" to 1.5''. If you are not sure, being on the loose side is better.

bluestringer

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i always make chain adjustments with the rider on the bike
and as blue said a little loose is better than too tight but i leave less than
1" of play

1 - 17 of 17 Posts