Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 800 Classic that is extremly cold blooded. I have to ride it a good 15 to 20 min with full choke before I can put the choke in. I am taking it in tomorrow for my first 500 mile service. Should I let them know about it. Is it a concern? Did gutting my tailpipes make a difference, like less back pressure, so takes more time to heat up.

thanks

LJ

p.s. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if they give me any guff about gutting the tail pipes verses the warranty

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a 2003 800A, I went for a ride today. The bike has sat for at least 10 days without being started because of snow, rain and strong winds. I used full choke hit the starter, and it fired right up. I left the choke on while putting on my helmet, before i left my driveway the choke was off,..ran great. BTW the temp here is in the 30's. In Az with warmer temps maybe you should let your dealer know how long you have to run with the choke.

Ride safe!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Even in the coldest weather you shouldn't have to full choke a bike for more that a couple of minutes, so I would definitely let them know about that......

Heather

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yes-have it checked

you should not need a choke for than just a minute or two
it might still cough a little but thats normal on a stock 800b till it warms up :wink:

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
My 800A will cough a little before it getrs warmed up, and yes it takes about 10 miles to get fully warm. But I only have to use the choke for about a minute at start up. The problem is the pilot screw, it's set too lean. You can fix it, but I haven't tried yet. You need the Wolf's PDF file, Go get it here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/russwolf/mixture.html

bluestringer

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's a pain to get to (remove seat, cluster, tank, air cleaner, etc.) but it sounds like it might be necessary. Weird that it just started doing it all of the sudden.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I took the Baffles out of my 04 800 Classic and it did not effect how it starts and warms up, mine is a little cold blooded, takes a couple minutes of choke and a few minutes of riding to get her up to speed. Though most of the twin cruisers I ride with are all alike. Yours does seem to be excessive , you should bring it up with your dealer. Should be an easy fix I would think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts