Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 VN 800 float seem to have stuck last week. Gas was pouring out of the two holes at the bottom of the mouth of the carb. To make a long story short... I ended up having a visit from the fire department.

After replacing the melted air cleaner housing, a few hoses and cleaning the float bowl out things seemed fine. Seemed!!!

Started her up today and it ran very rough. After warming up it ran ok but was blowing a bit of white smoke which it has never done! I shut it down when oil started sputtering out of one of the wholes in the air cleaner assembly.

Any advice or ideas on what the problem may be or what the solution is would help me sleep better tonight!

Thanks,

1996 VN 800 Classic
5,800 miles
Michigan

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
Did you change the oil, if the float stuck it could have filled the crank case with gas! 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No but it did cross my mind. I thought I had freed the float by cleaing out the bowl but it seems like it is still sticking.

Last time I started it the front cylinder became very hot but the rear was cool enough to touch.

time to rebuild the carb or relace the needle value and float?

I will not try to start it again until I have solved the carb. issues and changed the oil.

Any other advise would be great.

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

as said-change plugs.change oil,rebuid carb,how many miles you got ? i've seen varnish cause sticky floats

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know of a good online source for ording carb. rebuild kits?

Would you recommend any jeting kits?

Thanks for the help!

teacherman
New Baltimore MI
1996 VN800 B Classic
5,800 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does your tank have the pepcock with the three settings and a vacuum line running to it? if left in the middle position, it will flood the carb, and let the gas flood out. Possibility?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts