Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 800 classic with around 350 miles on it. The chain has about 2 inches of play. Should it be this loose this soon, and can I tighten it without lifting it, since I dont have a jack. Or I guess the other question is, can this wait till my 500 mile service?

Thanks

lj

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

no-that's way too much slack

take it in if you can't adjust it -you may damage the chain and sprockets
with it that loose :wink:

borrow a floor jack and a block of wood-that will get it high enough to
adjust it-its in the manual and its easy :wink:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Trans you can adjust it without raising it. Just loosen the axel bolt nut an watch the hash marks on each side of the frame, so they are lined up the same. You need about an inch or inch an a quarter of slack, check the owner's manual. If it streched to much (which it shouldn't be with 350 mi.) when you adjust check an see if you have plenty of clearance between the tire an taillight housing up in the fender since you have the classic. The classic has the 112 link chain because of the housing, while the A model use's a 114 link chain. If you saw my previous thread about my tail end I think my chain being streched in combination with the preload on the rear shock being set to low had alot to do with it. If you leave the chain that loose , like Biko said it can wear the sprocket's prematurely, plus when you jump on the throttle hard it could jump a tooth, an you'll feel that an won't like it.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
no-that's way too much slack

take it in if you can't adjust it -you may damage the chain and sprockets
with it that loose :wink:

borrow a floor jack and a block of wood-that will get it high enough to
adjust it-its in the manual and its easy :wink:

I have the same problem. I adjusted the one on my 500 without a problem, but I can't break the axle nut loose on the 800 with the supplied 22mm wrench. I don't have a larger 22mm. I also adjusted the 500 without jacking up the tire and the 800 tire should slide back without lifting also.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Trans101am said:
I have an 04 800 classic with around 350 miles on it. The chain has about 2 inches of play. Should it be this loose this soon, and can I tighten it without lifting it, since I dont have a jack. Or I guess the other question is, can this wait till my 500 mile service?

Thanks

lj

Be sure to check the slack while sitting on the bike.

bluestringer

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Blue ,try a piece of pipe or something else as a breaker bar on the wrench.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
woodchucks800 said:
Blue ,try a piece of pipe or something else as a breaker bar on the wrench.

I went and bought a larger 22mm. The manual says to loosen the torque link nut, but it would not budge. I almost rounded off the nut trying to loosen it. But I did get the axle nut loose with the larer wrench and got my chain tightened up. I had to loosen my rear brake after tightening everything back up to get it to roll. Took it around the block and it's seems a lot better. Retighten the rear brake after riding it.

bluestringer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts