Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need the expetise of all you 800 riders. What is the absolute right air and jet kit for a Vulcan 800A? I think there are several brands, but which one is the hands down favorite of the majority of 800 riders. Don't know if ease of installation and good instructions should be a consideration in this decision. Appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
AJ I'll start off an the rest will join . I think there all about the same in the proformance catagory, with the thrunder brands having a slight edge (not really that noticeable) over the other brands,1 or 2 hp. With that said go with what you like. As far as the jet kit's A couple of them don't have the right jet's to begin with. You are running a 48 primary an 135 main jet on the stock set-up, What you'll need is a 50 primary ( easiest place to get one is a harley dealer part number(27302-84), and a 165 or 170 main jet . most kit's don't have a 50p. an some don't have a 165 or 170. Most dealer's won't know what's in the jet kit that they are selling. I'm running a kuryakyn hypercharger it's probably got the most useable part's out there. Don't know what the thunder kit's have in them ? The hypercharger sticks out from the motor about a 1/2" more than stock so leg clearance may be an issue? Pick out in Oregon got a kuryakyn high five on order,an we'll see an here how it work's out for him. anymore question's just ask. Like I said the other guy's will join in with there opinion's an knowledge on the topic I'm sure.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think woodchucks800 has it down pretty good. However, I think the item of primary importance is what pipes AND air box are you running. This will certainly effect which jets to use.

Just doing air box and jets probably won't benefit you greatly and may be a waste of effort without doing pipes also.

I had V & H Cruzers, Cobra jet kit, and KN filter in the stock air box. Ran great.

Good Luck

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WC, I would go with what I like but I never put one on an 800 so I don't know. I had the Sportster rejetted and bigger air cleaner put on but I had the dealer do that, so I don't know the parts and sizes involved. I can probably get that from the Harley dealer, I suppose. Will that be the right thing for the 800? As far as pipes go, I did get the screemin' eagles for the sportster but I would at times put the stock slip-ons back on and can't say I noticed a big difference between the two (except for sound, of course). I'm a novice at this so I'm not sure. I do remember the HD guys telling me that overall you should get a 10-12 HP boost with the air/rejet and pipes change, but only about 1/2 that with only the air/rejet and no pipe change. They also said it wouldn't hurt the bike to do only the air/rejet, just would get a little less of a boost. Would taking the baffles out of the stock pipes count as a pipe change? I don't know. Confused. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
AJ When I said go with what you like I meant what looks appealing as far as look's. You'll get about the same result's from any of the intakes. Doing the intake without doing the exhaust is a waste of time in my opinion. If anything do the exhaust first. As far as jet kit's, the dynojet kit has only the adjustable needle in it that is useable, like I said before you'll need a 50 primary because the vulcan's are know to run lean ( to pass epa standards). The 165 or 170 main is what you'll need if an when you do the intake.If you do just the pipes you don't need to rejet, just back the air/fuel mixture screw out a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.The stock needle won't work when you put the 50 primary in, You'll need an adjustable needle so you can adjust the setting's, on how deep it seat's into the new 50 primary. Are you confussed yet? As far as gutting the stock pipes, all you have done is make them louder because the main pipe inside the muffler is still restricted from the small size that it is. When you do the intake you might as well remove the epa crap. The bike will run a little cooler an some of the popping on decelaration will be gone. If I haven't explained this well enough for you I'm sorry, but I'm better at showing you than teaching you. Bikeaholic will chime in when he read's this thread an maybe he can explain what I'm trying to say a little better. All I can say is , if you haven't ridin an 800 after the intake an exhaust mod's ,that when you do them to your 800 you'll wonder why you didn't do them earlier!! The high five intake from kuryakyn has been held up for distrubition because they haven't figured out the jetting for them yet , Pickpocket(ha) ordered one an he hasn't posted that he has recieved it yet so time will tell.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks WC. When I said hands down favorite, I didn't mean style or looks, I meant the right air/jet kits in terms of best all around performance for the bike. And by best all around performance I don't mean just biggest power boost, but the one that will make the bike run best; at idle, warm up, wide open, everywhere in between. But I think I got what I need now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been reading K&N and Dynojet sites. K&N says to change to a KA-8095 filter in the stock airbox and no jet changes required and get a power increase. They don't say anything about pipes. For the jets, Dynojet says that you can do a stage 1 with no change in pipes or air cleaner and you will get a power increase and that their jets are adjustable for when you do change to a higher flow cleaner and aftermarket pipes. I thought I read somewhere you had to balance the more air in with more air out, therefore a pipe change. I thought there was a danger in the motor running hotter with getting more air in and not letting it out as fast. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, 'tis sad but true. My air cleaner is on back order. Didn't know it was an issue at the factory, though, until woodchucks mentioned it. I've got a call into them to get an ETA. Oh well, at least they broke up the shipment. My pipes are due to arrive on Thursday. That should keep me sated for a little while.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Hey Pick I hope it work's out for you Bro. The high five was originally suppose to be on the market last spring, then this Nov. an now Dec. If you want an intake that sorta looks like the high five I can steer you in the right direction? The cost is about the same.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
AJ Your thoughts about more air in an lack of increased exhaust is pretty much why I think just jetting is a waste of time . You might get a little increase in power but it won't be anywhere near what you'll get with the pipe's an intake. As far as adjustable jet's there is no such thing ,What they probably mean is that the jet kit has bigger an smaller jet's to fine tune to your exhaust. The jet's that come with any of the kit's are main jet's only an still don't have a 50 primary . You could always scooterize the stock intake an pick up as much of a power gain as what dynojet is telling you it will be a little cheaper because you already have most of the parts. just need a couple of jet's, an maybe a few needle shims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post, I've been searching for a while now and what does it mean to scooterize? Also the intake mod, where can I find it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Pick go to www.shermscycleproducts.com find the intakes open the page go to the bottom an open the dragtron II. You will have to call them as they don't have a price but I know you can do the mod for about the same price as the high five. The air breather you can get from www.dragspecialties.com for about 80 bucks. The jets, needle , an shims you can get from sherms. It would probably be easier to by from sherm's because buying the part's seperately ,you will also have to by an adapter from kuryakyn to mount the breather to the carb. If you go this route I've got the part # for the kuryakyn adapter somewhere, I'll have to dig it up? Just take a look an tell me what you think guys? I like the look maybe I'll change!

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
MPR-Basiclly your modifing the intake an removing the epa crap. I don't know much about it since I went with the new intake an pipe's to begin with. E-mail this guy an he'll send you the updated version for scooterizing. [email protected] Oh by the way welcome to the forum, Don't be a stranger!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can't find an air breather @ Drag Specialties that prices at $80. I currently have a Kury crankcase breather on order with the pipes but I don't imagine that's the adapter you're referring to. If I went that way, would a stage one dynojet cover the needles & jets. I'm not much of a wrench so perhaps piecing a system together is beyond my capabilities. I rebuilt my old Scout's carb but used a pretty detailed rebuild kit. Can you dumb-down my options for me?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Don't remember where in Oregon there at, a quick phone call will answer that. Go to drag specialties open the fat book hit caburetor's then hit air cleaner's go in about 4 page's or so It's the dragtron II 6" air cleaner $84.95. The dynojet kit will only have the needle that will work. I've heard that sherm's will set you up with the wrong jetting for the 800. They race meanstreaks an don't know everything about the 800. As far as jetting ask them what 's in the dragon II or if it's even for the 800? It's not a big deal to buy the jet's an needle separately an put together a package of your own. Most kit's only have a needle,a few jet's of different sizes an a few shim's. None of them have a 50 primary which you will have to get else where. I posted the harley part # for the 50 primary above, call around an you'll find one if not I can get one to you in 2 or 3 days from MT. If they ask don't tell them it's a vulcan some of the HD dealers don't like helping the competion<BG>You could even use the HD main jets if you want but you would have to change the emulsion tube in your carb. I wouldn't go to all that trouble though. If you have taken a carb apart before then you know how it works.( I think) I hadn't worked on bike carbs in 20 yrs. ,until two yrs. ago when I tore in to the 800 carb to rejet for the hypercharger. The bike was only about a week old. It took a little while but it sure helps you get to know your bike. If it wasn't turning winter around here I'd ride over an help! Any more questions just ask. If you decide to do this yourself I can get you through it , without to many problems. the kuryakyn 5/8" adapter to mount the Dragtron II from dragspec. is part # H30-185 $12.95 you would have to order it direct.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called K&N and talked to someone on their tech line. He said that you could install a K&N filter and shouldn't have to worry about a pipe change because there is enough of a margin built into the stock pipes to allow for whatever additional air you get with the K&N. more air in. This sounds reasonable advice to me. There may not be a noticeable difference with only a filter change, but I think I will start there.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
AJ sounds like a plan. Just swapping the air cleaner you probably don't need to rejet. Doing the mod's one at a time will let you see the difference it make's as you go. When I did mine I did them all at once an I couldn't tell you which one improved what more. I just know overall it help alot. If anyone want's to gut there stock pipe's or stock air cleaner I've got both so if someone want's to pay for the shipping you can have them,so you can leave the one you've got now alone, an mod these. Just an option?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts