Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I picked up an 81 550 LTD (26k miles) in July to learn on, rode fine all summer for the most part...

Unfortunately it sat for about about a month and a half or so as worked picked up, and spent a few days in the rain after the cover blew off when I was out of town.

After letting it warm up I went to back it out and... won't budge. Tried moving it with the clutch engaged, no dice. It'll shift into 1st, I can pump the back brake, but it won't roll. I'm a newbie so that's about all I could think of... Any ideas or should I just shell out for a pro to come haul it off & take a look?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Take off the sprocket cover(might have to remove the left foot peg assembly) and inspect for anything binding or hung up too.

I suspect a stuck brake puck,chain that needs replacing,wheel bearings or a combination causing this problem.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
If it worked, then got rained on and seized my bet would be back brake stuck to drum too. My truck does that occasionally, and it takes quite a jolt to break it loose. Did it when it was brand new, still does it at 300k miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys, a mechanic friend of mine ended up having some time so he's hauling it off tomorrow to figure it out and give it a little needed TLC as well.

I appreciate the help, especially since it was my first post here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.