Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1981 KDX420. The bike would only go into first gear if you were moving very slowly and downshifted without using the clutch. I decided to open the engine up and do some maitnence and make sure everything was fine and to fix my 1st gear problem. I made it to the point where i need to take off the flywheel but its stuck or something. I have no idea how to get it off. because i couldnt not find the specialty part ( magneto flywheel puller) listed in the owners manual i tried using a harmonic balance/flywheel puller. after hours of trying to get the flyweel to come off i've ran out of ideas...anyone know how to get it off without braking the engine into peices? thx for the help

·
Registered
731 Posts
i know your not really supposed to but i just got a big levers in at both sides and levered on the casing dont do it to hard though and gave it some almighty hits with a hammer right in the middle i got it of no prob i tryed for 3 hrs b4 doing this and there was no damage and the bike is fine i think you need to watch because sometimes a sharp hit to magneto/flywheel can make it lose its magnetism or something (so i hear not sure though)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Use only the puller designated for the bike, using a lever type puller will result in bending the flywheel, I can show you one that somebody used something other than what was designed, it's JUNK.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Go on ebay and buy a flywheel puller you idiot

·
Registered
150 Posts
just but the puller casue if you dont and you follow someone's advice about using this or that method without buying the RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB then you will end up breaking something else and that something else USALLY ends up being alot more than what you would have normally had to spend to fix the promblem to begin with

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the NON help. Name calling is for children. Mechanically the tool works the exact same way as the freaking kawasaki tool. My question was not how the tool works or how to use the tool, sry if i wasnt clear. The flywheel is stuck on. bolts have freaking broke while im trying to take it off. I wanted to know if there was something i could do to make the flywheel come off easier. such as heating the flywheel up making the metal expand, or something along those lines. " you made junk" is not a helpful post. helpful posts only please.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
No the flywheel puller does NOT work like a harmonic balancer puller. The flywheel puller threads into the CENTER of the flywheel and presses against a threaded pin which threads into the flywheel retaining bolt hole. A Harmonic Balancer, or three jaw or two jaw puller pulls against the outside rim of the flywheel, BENDING the flywheel, DELAMINATING the magnets in the $350, No longer available, better chance of seeing Jesus, hasn't been made since Reagan was president piece of UNOBTANIUM which resides under your side cover.

There are, out of about 30,000 members of this forum, about TEN professional , practicing Kawasaki mechanics on this site. Only ONE of whom was plying his trade when your piece of Japanese Garage Art was new. ME. And you ****ed me off. The info faucet is closed. You come into a forum where you looked for answers. Three people told you you broke your stuff. Granted, calling you an idiot was uncalled for, I apologize for that member's outburst.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Here it is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gunther16, While you may consider this non help, it is factual. You may have gotten lucky using your harmonic balancer puller and not wrecked it, although I doubt it. The metal on the face of the flywheel is very flimsy, the center portion where the puller goes is much more substantial and won't bend. I would suspect the reason you can't get it off is due to flex. I to apologize for the member calling you an idiot, that was uncalled for, but, the fact remains that you more than likely ruined your flywheel, and as elr658 stated it is UN-obtainable as a new part from Kawi, so I'd start looking for one at a scrap yard, or ebay.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
There are, out of about 30,000 members of this forum, about TEN professional , practicing Kawasaki mechanics on this site. Only ONE of whom was plying his trade when your piece of Japanese Garage Art was new. ME. And you ****ed me off. The info faucet is closed. You come into a forum where you looked for answers. Three people told you you broke your stuff. Granted, calling you an idiot was uncalled for, I apologize for that member's outburst.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Here it is.
Shame on you! You said you'd stay out of the dirt bik sextion! :biggrin:

Some people will not listen even if you were standing next to them.

It's nice that people who actually know something are willing to help. I could help a lot of people here, but only choose to help those that I know that will take my advice.

Mechanics, keep helping, regardless if anyone listens. Some of us do listen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the harmonic balance/steering wheel puller i bought uses 3 bolts that bolt onto the flywheel just like the Kawasaki tool. it also uses a bolt in the center of the tool that pushes onto the bolt that holds on the flywheel just like the Kawasaki tool. just to be clear, i am not pulling on the sides of the flywheel nor have i ever done so. if you still think the Kawasaki tool works differently id be greatful if you told me...thank you.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Hi, Gunther16. I think there has been some misunderstanding in this thread.

First, elr658, Gunther16 may not have described his tool precisely and that led to some confusion. However, you are incorrect, so please calm down. The flywheel on the 1981 Kawasaki KDX420-B1 does not have the left-hand thread, 27mm x 1.0mm threads, as the 1989 and newer full-sized KDX's do. There are NO threads on the inside, as you incorrectly described. You may be thinking of the 1989 and newer full-sized KDX's, which use the 57001-252 tool. The tool described in the manual and perhaps mentioned by Gunther16 is the 57001-259 tool.

Gunther16, is your tool similar to this one?

http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/images/pullertl.gif

If so, then I have used the same type tool ($20 from Sears) to remove the flywheel from my 1987 Kawasaki KDX200. If so, I would suggest that you keep the flat side on the rotor and use some spacers and washers for a "best as possible" fit, along with some strong bolts to thread into the rotor.

A better idea is to browse the Motion Pro site to buy a rotor puller from them. They have a model that is similar to the Kawasaki 57001-259 tool, (08-0160). I do not own it, nor have I ever used it. I do not know if it will work with the older style rotors or not. I am just mentioning it as a suggestion. If I had a stuck rotor, I would buy one for myself, but my $20 sears puller has worked easily on my rotor. I guess mine was not stuck like yours, however.

If you try either one, be sure to use a good bit of grease on the end of the crankshaft and rotor puller bolt head. Also, use a socket head bolt in the end of the crankshaft, instead of turning the rotor puller bolt on the end of the stock rotor bolt.

I hope this helps all of you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes that is the tool i am using. when he mentioned the left handed threads i couldnt find them but thought maybe i just couldnt see them for some reason. anyways thanks for the post it helped greatly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts