Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
You nailed it. Wow, machine shop and Kawi dealer in one. Hard to go wrong with that combo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Definitely a good combo.
The looks I get going in there crack me up though. All those old farmers in there getting parts, and then there's me getting motorcycle stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Since I love tractors and motorcycles and am a retired machinist, I would go nuts in a place like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I finally got the head back and on the bike.

I have her all back together, new oil and gas, but she isn't getting any spark.
I put new plugs in, but they still are not getting spark.
So I started Tracing wires making sure everything was plugged in, and clean. I've believe it's the igniter. This bike seems to have a factory electronic ignition system. What ideas do you guys have, or ways to test it before I go on the hunt for more parts.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
I think your bike is cursed. You fix one problem and as soon as you do, another problem pops up. It must be frustrating.

Prior to having the valves done you were getting spark. None of that work should have affected your ignition.

Your best bet it to get your hands on a factory service manual. These usually have some basic tests you can run on the igniter with a multimeter. You may also want to test the regulator. The procedure is a bit complicated but can be done with two batteries on the bench.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thank you. And I definitely feel that way. It's been a process. And yes, I was getting spark, the bike was actually starting and running. The original service manual I got for the bike, which is the correct one for the model year and submodel, does not show an electronic ignition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I did some testing and it turned out it was simply a wire had broken. I got it fixed and the bikes starting again. But I'm still having a similar issue. She boggs down on any acceleration at all, and when the throttle is released she dies. So back to square one.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Well, that is progress.

When you got the head back from the machine shop, did you test it for leaks? In any case, I would still do a compression check. Without proper compression, the engine won't run right.

On service manuals, an actual factory service manual from Kawasaki for your year of bike, will cover the electronic ignition. If you have the Kawi manual, look on the back cover where it lists all models covered by that manual.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I checked for leaks before I reinstalled it. And it's getting proper compression.
Also the manual I have is supposed to be for the bike I have.
I'm hoping it's just that I need to fiddle with the carbs and get them set right.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
It could well be the carbs.

Did you check to see if the igniter is the proper part number for your bike?

If you do strip the carbs down again, don't forget that pushing a wire through the jet confirms you have a hole at least the size of the wire but does not confirm the jet is totally clear of a blockage. This is why holding it up to a bright light with a magnifier is the best final check.

Also you carb has tiny little drilled holes in the carb body that you may not have even noticed. These all need to be blown perfectly clean. What model are your carbs? Your manual should have this listed in specifications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I had the carbs professional vapor blasted and ultrasonically cleaned, but I gave them a quick clean before I installed them.
The manual shows a completely different ignition system and even coil for that bike, but all the parts seem to be stock.
I'll have to sit down here this evening or in the morning and look for the model. I know for sure they are stock carbs, but the exact number I'll get soon.

A little update, I had to move the bike out of the shed for the weekend, so I moved it onto my covered porch, and she moved over her own power about a block or so, and up a set of ramps. I did notice the right exhaust was popping some.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So, I went through the whole bikes wiring these last two weeks. And we'll after a hell of a lot of headache. I took the timing advancer off just to double check. And sure enough it was seized up. I don't know if I overlooked this originally (totally possible) or if it happened while I was waiting on the head. But she runs a lot better now. I still have some carb work to do, like syncing and getting the adjustments just right.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts