Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some problems with the carbs on my 81 KZ750 H2. I had to replace the carbs, and they came off a 82 KZ750 Spectre (I think). The jets are the same size, but the jet needles (the needle in the slide) is a N10A, and the Haynes manual says it needs a N01A. The bike is running rich.

Bad thing is, I cannot seem to find other needles anywhere? Any help woudl be appriecated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
could be a typo in your book...check a parts store and see what's in their computer. I'm a noob too, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...but typos are not rare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went to a local bike salvage yard, and we pulled the proper jets from a scrap set of carbs. Bike runs fine now, except for hesitation at WOT. The bike has a 4 into 1 header w/ a open Supertrapp exhaust. I am thinking because the exhaust is open, it's leaning out the WOT mixture. We are going to put the discs in the exhaust and see what happens..Its either that, or fatter jets....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
neonhomer, You carbs may not be "running rich". There are other reasons why vintake bikes have sooty plugs. You might be running the wrong heat range plug. Not sure what it should be for your bike... maybe B8ES or B7ES? Check your manual. If you plug is too cold, the crud won't burn off. Another reason your plugs may be sooty is that your air cleaner is filthy. This will choke the air off and appear to be a "rich" condition. The last, and perhaps old-bike problem is weak spark. The power to your coils goes from your panel under your seat through a bunch of wire and through your igntion switch and kill switch. The dirty switches and connectors cause a voltage loss relative to what was there when the bike was new and the coils don't get enough power. I power the coils on my older bikes directly from my battery via an automotive relay using the original power wire to the coils as the trigger for the relay. Much hotter spark. I bet you also have occassional backfiring through the carbs which is another symptom of a weak spark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I checked a few things, and I changed the air filters to slip ons (took the air box out). Bike runs 100% better.

BTW - I didn't have any backfiring from the carbs, and the plugs were not sooty. I said it was running rich because it was belching black smoke from the exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts