Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '81 kawasaki LTD 550 that suddenly stopped working and i have a feeling it's something relatively simple.

it was running strong in all cylinders, no problems starting up, then one cold night coming home it was misfiring a bit when on choke. the next day i couldn't start it up, tried running starts, but wasn't getting ignition in any of the cylinders. i rechardged the battery, checked the plugs (they're clean and give good sparks), there's plenty of fuel and it flows from the tank. when i try to start it, the starter makes a healthy, strong noise, it seems to be turning the crankshaft ok, but there's no ignition in any of the cylinders.

i don't want to start taking the carbs apart if it's something simple, but i don't know enough to diagnose this myself.

any suggestions? thanks,

yan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, with a gloved hand, pull a spark plug and turn it over with the plug in the wire and look for spark.

And by all means buy a book for your bike. They almost ALL have a trouble shooting section to guide a guy through this type of thing.

Good luck

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I have a factrey service manual on that year 550 . e mail me and i can scan stuf on the timing and ingnition system. I think it has something to do with your timing.....Mack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts