Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new bike has a blown low beam. It has the original Stanley sealed 6" unit.

I see a few on e-bay. Not cheap.

Anybody know of a good replacement?

I'm probably going to try this; looks like a good match for the original assembly.
EMGO
Black 7 in. Headlight - 66-64313

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did the deed. New Emgo unit looks at home on the old bike. 6" model is the right size for the 305 CSR. Its slightly narrower at the mounting brackets, but a few nylon washers fixed that.

Now it does not want to idle. I'm thinking the new H4 bulb draws more than twice the wattage of the old sealed beam, and may be working the electrical system too hard.

Next step is probably a LED H4, that makes the conversion close to the same money as buying an original sealed beam from Ebay.

Upside is the Emgo unit is shinier, and throws a lot more light.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
How many watts is the H4 bulb? It may be too high for the wiring. I would make sure the headlight fuse is the correct size. stock is probably 10A. On my 81 KZ650-CSR I installed an H4 bulb in place of the stock sealed beam >> in my case the H4 bulb is the same watts.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My 84 ZN1100 melted the headlight connector. It had stock fuse and stock headlight bulb (H4). I figure the excess heat came from a corroded connector. I installed a new connector and switched to an LED bulb that draws about 1/10 of what the H4 bulb draws.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts