Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I ust got this bike and the owner says it runs great but of course now that im riding it i notice some things, I need help with. First its running rich I can smell the gas badly, how do I make it leaner? I have a repair manual for the bike, but its not speaking my language. I understand about the pilot screw but how do you know when its right? Secondly after riding for awhile and the engine warms up good, my rpm's startin increasing when im in nuetral or when i have the clutch in. The only way to bring them down is to let the clutch out when in gear. Then they settle down a bit. Someone told me look at the intake manifold, but what and where is that? it never mentions that in my manual. Also I took of the carb, and the rubber pieces that secure it to the motor and just all craked and dry rotted. Are those the intake manifolds? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
sarpup wrote:

>I ust got this bike and the owner says it runs great but of course now >that im riding it i notice some things, I need help with. First its running >rich I can smell the gas badly, how do I make it leaner? I have a repair >manual for the bike, but its not speaking my language. I understand >about the pilot screw but how do you know when its right?

Welcome sarpup. First of all, the pilot fuel mixture screw that you are manipulating affects the the amount of gas supplied to the idle circuit. Gently turn turn each of the screws in till they seat (the tips are easily damaged so be gentle) then back them out two turns and leave them be. The gas you smell is likely the result of an incorrect service fuel level setting or perhaps, even a float sticking. The service fuel level is the line inside your float bowl where gas will get up to. The float rises and seats and shuts off gas. There are times, when the float can get bent a tad and will stick open. When it does, gas will continue to flow into the bowl and then out the drains nipples first and then perhaps also out the vents. I don't recall where the vents are on your bike but they are connected to holes in the top of the float chamber. If a float isn't sticking, then the service fuel level is too HIGH. To adjust first make sure your bike is level. Set it on its centerstand and prop the front wheel a bit. Connect a clear plastic hose to the drain nipple. Hold the clear hose next to the line where your bowl gasket is. Doesn't matter which carb you use as a reference since the bike is level. Then open the drain screw. Don't move the hose upwards as this gives false readings. Make sure there are no bubbles in the line by tapping the hose gently with your finger. Once the gas has quit rising, note the distance from where the bowl gasket line is to where the gas is. The gas should be about 1/8" below the gasket line. If it isn't, then you will need to remove your float bowl and bend the little square metal part of the float tang up or down to adjust where it shuts gas off. Do this for all four carbs.

The other reason you may smell gas is a leak in a gas line or your petcock. Check them carefully.

>Secondly after riding for awhile and the engine warms up good, my >rpm's startin increasing when im in nuetral or when i have the clutch in. >The only way to bring them down is to let the clutch out when in gear. >Then they settle down a bit. Someone told me look at the intake >manifold, but what and where is that? it never mentions that in my >manual. Also I took of the carb, and the rubber pieces that secure it to >the motor and just all craked and dry rotted. Are those the intake >manifolds? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

The rubber pieces that secure the carbs to the cylinder head are the intake manifolds. If they are in poor shape, you will have big problems. You can check them for leaks by spraying WD40 on them while the bike is idling and if the idle speed changes, they are leaking. Excess vacuum can cause your idle to be erratic. If you have bad enough leak, the cold air, hitting the combustion chamber can HOLE A PISTON. I would swap these intake manifolds out immediately. Contact jeff at z1enterprises.com and have him get you some new ones. Tell Jeff I sent you and he will give you a good price. Also check your vacuum line going to your petcock for leaks. This can also mess up your idle.

Hope this helped! If you have any other carburetor related question or wrenching questions, drop me a note.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Sarpup,

Welcome to the Forum. You came to the right place for answers!!!! There is plenty of mechanical expertise up here for the asking. I have learned alot cruisin' the posts.

Once you get that LTD's kinks fixed you will have a great bike. I have a 750 Spectre that I ride all the time. Same style as the LTD. When I got it the carbs were off a bit, but the bike was well maintained and the manifolds were in great shape. My husband cleaned the carbs and the gas tank (had been sitting in a garage for 15 years). Still wasn't running 100% so we took it to a friend of ours that is a Kawi mechanic to get the carbs tuned and syncd. It was a well spent $85. She's been running 100% ever since.

Again, Welcome and hope to see you up here often.

Heather

1 - 3 of 3 Posts