Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mrheartman
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi newbie here ; I`m having a problem diagnosing a shift problem . The bike goes into 1st & neutral perfectly every time . When I try to upshift "nothing" no 2nd gear . Baught bike cheap recently and owner had it to a dealer ,was told it was a clutch gear went bad ? Looked clutch over ,seemed fine . Pulled motor to look at gears , all look fine. Tried a replacement shift pawl that looked better and it shifts up but not every time . wanted to get some advice before I slap it all back together . Any advice will be appreciated . :confused:

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
The output shaft with the front sprocket has to be spinning to shift into second.
If the motor won't run, you can put it on the center stand and spin the rear wheel, or take the chain off and spin the sprocket by hand. You have to give it a pretty good flip with your hand to spin it fast enough though.

Kawasaki calls it a "Positive Neutral Finder".

·
mrheartman
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No 2nd gear

Thanks guys , appreciate the quick comeback . SOOOOO , you mean i might not have had to take the engine out and split the cases to get it to shift up to 2nd gear ? :oops: Golly i guess I learned quite a bit that may not have been necessary ? :shock:

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I thought my engine and or tranny was locked up until the good folks on this board told me the kawasakis will not shift beyond first sitting still and the engine would not likely turn over in gear either. Glad I asked before digging deep into her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.