Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '82 Kawasaki 1100 Spectre, and I've been having some (what I'd thought was pinging) noise going on for some time now. I'd thought it was spark knock or detonation, but after completely rebuilding and rejetting my carbs but noticing no change, I began to listen to the noise a lot closer than before. Anyways, it sounds to me like the cam chain is clattering in the front of the engine, ...which brings me to ask this question; How do I adjust tensioner to cure this problem?? Please advise.

Much thanks!!!!!!!
reeB_relliM

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
im gonna guess on your bike since i dont have the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER in front of me to see what TYPE it is. im betting it is an automatic tensioner and it just needs to click one/two more teeth and it will be fine.
look at this pic of a KATANA CMT----------

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0286/cam_chain/cam_chain.cfm

you can push the ratchet mechanism nf a tooth or two yourself if you remove #8,9 & 10 ONLY, be in a very quite place, put a socket extension inside the hole and push till you hear it click once or twice, put it back together and start the bike. if the noise doesnt go away then the tensioner may be bad. you can replace it yourself. just follow the manual.
we did this on my katana 600 that had a noisey cam chain and it worked perfectly.

i would double check with the dealer that you have an automatic tensioner on that bike before tearing into it.

oh and when was the last time you had a valve adjustment done on this bike ?? it could be valves tapping

good luck :wink: [/b]

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
reeB_relliM ,

I have a 750 Spectre....I was all ready to have the valves adjusted,etc. but a friend of mine who knows a lot about Kawis told me what the problem was. ...I purchased a chain tensoner kit at my local shop to fix the problem. Hardest part was getting to everything!!!! Once it was installed...it ran like a scared rabbit :lol:

Ride Safe Ride Sane,

Heather

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QKENUF4U said:
im gonna guess on your bike since i dont have the CAM CHAIN TENSIONER in front of me to see what TYPE it is. im betting it is an automatic tensioner and it just needs to click one/two more teeth and it will be fine.
look at this pic of a KATANA CMT----------

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0286/cam_chain/cam_chain.cfm

you can push the ratchet mechanism nf a tooth or two yourself if you remove #8,9 & 10 ONLY, be in a very quite place, put a socket extension inside the hole and push till you hear it click once or twice, put it back together and start the bike. if the noise doesnt go away then the tensioner may be bad. you can replace it yourself. just follow the manual.
we did this on my katana 600 that had a noisey cam chain and it worked perfectly.

i would double check with the dealer that you have an automatic tensioner on that bike before tearing into it.

oh and when was the last time you had a valve adjustment done on this bike ?? it could be valves tapping

good luck :wink: [/b]
Thanks for the replys!! Much appreciated.

While I'd certainly agree that the valves may very well be due for an adjustment, ..the biggest noise problem here is from a sloppy cam-chain. I can tell that the timing events are being effected by this, not drastic, but nevertheless, I can just barely feel it.

I looked at the image at the link you'd provided , however, mine seems to be somewhat different. I'm prolly gonna have to take it back off so I can take some pictures of it to post, as it's kinda hard to describe. Basically, after taking the two fastening bolts out, there was a spring, and a rod, inside of a cap or cover. The rod is angled on one end (the end that goes into the cap cover) looks kinda like this: ====\ ...except the angle is a lot more drastic. The rod doesn't seems to attach to anything and the spring seems to serves no purpose. I'm confused, can U tell?? (lol!)

I just found this link, not sure if it will work, but this is what my tensioner looks like. Click HERE

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
the two angles just push against each other. the one on the side is under pressure and pushes the one that goes into the motor.
might be your springs are wore out from age/heat and loosing their tension so they cant keep the pressure on the chain guide that it needs. might be worth your while to replace the whole assembly if your sure its the tensioner and not a wore out chain or valves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it off and fiddled around with it for a few minutes, ...bolted 'er back on and it now seems to have fixed the chain noise. Just hope it stays this way now (lol!).

Okay, if possible, lets talk about hydraulic valve lifter adjustments for the 82 Kawasaki 1100 Spectre. I'm quite familiar with the concept behind adjusting hydraulic lifter valve lash, and setting hyd. roller lifter pre-load adjustments with regards to cars (..most familiar with Oldsmobiles) ......anyway, it's the same principal. Are there any step by step tutorials that would explain how to do this procedure. If so, please advise. I'm very confident that I can do this, ..however, I need some advisement, as well as some pertinent information, first. If possible, please shed some light in this area. Much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
reeB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts