Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently obtained a really nice 82 LTD 1000. The previous owner blew out the engine, and I was able to swap it out with a motor I found cheap on ebay. The bike is starting to run well (the engine had to be babied back to life, it hadn't run in almost 30 years) The previous owner seems to have had this bike jetted SUPER rich. I'm looking at 150 main jets, looks like Dyno aftermarket needels set to the fourth rung down from the top, and air screws turned out four turns! The bike actually runs fairly well, but it doesn't like any choke when it's warmed up, and the exhaust smells like a race track. It's running on the stock airbox with a K&N filter. Looks like the pilot jets are stock. I've done several plug chops, all look rich (but not fouling)

Any advice on where I should start in terms of jetting this thing down? The pipes are already very blue, so I'm not worried about cosmetics. I haven't minded being to rich up until now because I figured it would just cause the engine to run cooler, which seemed like a good idea as I worked on getting it back to running condition. But now I'm ready do some more work. Any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Also I've read some internet rumors that the Dyno needles aren't tappered properly, anyone have any experience with this? Also the main jets are dynojets, but the carbs do not have the air inhibiters installed or the slides drilled out any larger than stock.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I've got an 81 1000 LTD that I've since it was new. I put a Kerker 4-1 on it in 82 and ran the stock jets/needles and mixture settings for the next 18 years. It ran lean but had great power. Then I installed pods and a stage 3 kit. Couldn't get that tuned to my satisfaction and finally pulled the stage kit out in favor of larger mikuni jets with factory needle. Then 3 years ago I converted it all back to stock setup which is where it is now. Speaking from that experience I'd say you would probably be good just going 1 size over stock on both main and pilot then adjusting the mixture screw. I'd also suggest you check your coil input voltage. With my battery at 12.4 my coil input voltage was 10.5 because of corroded/dirty connectors in the wiring harness. I cleaned them in an attempt to fix it but could only get it to 11.2 and finally installed the coil power mod that so many others have done with these vintage bikes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts