Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting and wondering, if there would be a problem, to switch to allen head bolts, instead of flanged factory bolts. I have however run into a problem finding the,#6x52 allen bolts. If there would not be a problem.. Does anyone know where to get these, and should I use a flat washers when I torque the cover down..
Any information on this matter would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online would be my first choice, followed by Wink Fasteners, Inc. -- Corrosion Resistant - Bolts - Fasteners - Nuts - Washers -
Stainless Steel socket head cap screws(the real name for Allen or hex socket bolts) should have a thin film of the silver anti-seize to prevent dissimilar metal galling(seizing & sticking) of the fasteners.

The only drawback I see with the Allen head fasteners, is they trap water in the socket leading to corrosion if the bolts are steel. Being SS is fairly corrosion resistant, I see no problem.

I believe Z1 Enterprises, Inc. - Specializing in Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Parts carries a "Kit" of SS fasteners for older Kawasaki's on their website.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You can find complete sets by engine type on ebay. Be sure you get the polished stainless if you are expecting them to shine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 4 bolts, that spects call for 52mm.. In the kit, the closest is 55mm... I am kinda hoping, that since they put them in the kit, they will work proper. What do you think??

Thanks for your input!!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
There are a few on the valve cover that have through holes and longer will not cause any issues. My guess would be that they fit in those locations. If it is a problem, it's easy enough to run a nut up on the screw and cut it off to desired length then back the nut off to clean the thread up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts