Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the bike is running pretty good.
Neutral light would work when cold, quit working when the engine was warmed up. Wiring all looked good. Take the connector off the "switch", ground it on the engine, and the light came on. Took out the "switch" cleaned it up, put it back in. Didn't work at all until the engine warmed up some. Suspect it is going to be unreliable.

Doesn't appear to be much of a switch, just a spring loaded brass contact that closes the circuit when it touches a brass screw on the shift drum. The brass contact end doesn't appear worn, so I don't think a new one is the solution.

Any advice on fixing this? There is an aluminum washer that works as a gasket. Thinking of finding something thinner to make a few more thousandths of contact.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
46 Posts
Sometimes oil causes the contact at the plate to be faulty and also the push on wire connector doesn't contact properly. Both have happened to me. I put some electrical tape around the wire connector to keep oil from the chain getting in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Belt drive, so the wire connector does not gunk up too badly. Thanks for the reply. It might just be what it is.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Did you test the switch while it was off the bike? A multimeter can be used to check for reliable operation since you can press, twist and put various loads on the switch by hand while the meter is hooked up with a couple of alligator clips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked it by attaching the switch wire and grounding the tip to the engine. Tried different pressure and the light was always lit if the tip was touching.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The internal spring may be too weak to make good contact when it is installed, or the tip is worn enough that it no longer makes good contact. I would suggest a new switch if they are still available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts