Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just got an 82 ltd 750 for Christmas. It has been crashed but only has damage on parts I want to change anyways. It even came with a sticker that says "crashing sucks" on the gas tank. The wheels are not damaged but I would like to put 17" rims on it with sticky tires. Anyone know of some that will bolt up? I am new to the older bikes and want to learn about it. I tried to search but came up with nothing. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If you want more modern tires, get a more modern bike. First off, remember any modern tires are better than what you could buy in 1982 anyway, so you're already ahead of the game. You can probably fit some 17" rims to the bike, but that'll make your ground clearance even worse than it already is, and the costs to make a set of rims fit, will quite likely run you as much as you've already spent on the bike. The LTD's aren't renowned for being good enough handlers to warrant racing rubber anyway. Buy some good tires for the stock rims, and invest the rest in a good set of shocks and having the forks reworked.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I agree with the above. Unless you want to sink some real time and money into upgrading the frame and suspension the sticky rubber won't help and could actually hurt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, the bike was 100% free and i just got it home yesterday. It fires right up but when it crashed the front brake line came undone. I think that the front forks are maybe bent too, i'll put a straightedge on them today. If they are bent what other forks will fit? What kind of bars can you recommend? I was thinking of some fairly flat bars. I have the whole thing taken apart in my garage awaiting new parts already. Can't wait to ride it!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If the forks are slightly bent, and haven't been ovaled, you can have them straightened by someone with experience in that area. If they have a crease or a truly noticeable bend, get new ones either from the dealer, or Forking by Frank.

And as Herc said, if you have a real bend in 'em, get the triples checked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the forks are ok. The head bearings are worn (notch in the center) so I will change them. I am going to look at new bars today. I have decided to put some decent tires on this bike and make it comfortable to ride so my girlfriend can ride it too (she also has a liscence). Maybe in the summer I will get a different bike for me, I had a 03 636 and want another one.
When I put my ltd back together i need to bleed the front brakes because the brake fluid leaked out in the crash (fitting came loose but not damaged). Is there any advantage to using dot 5 or should i use dot 3.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You'll probably want to use DOT 4, or 5.1. For the LTD, there's not going to be a functional difference between the two. DOT5, is silicon based and will not mix with DOT3, 4 or 5.1. You'd at least need to flush the system out with a solvent before using it, and on a bike that old, I'd recommend a complete rebuild if going to DOT5.

You might also consider tapered steering bearings. They don't tend to notch as easily as the ball bearings do, plus they're a lot easier to deal with than those loose balls. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I put tapered bearings in the steer tube, now very smooth and only about $40. I also installed answer racing dirt bike bars, the bike looks way better. Now I need a new tach(crash damage) and I can ride the bike. The only thing I am not sure about is the brake hose from the master now goes up (higher than master) and then down to the splitter on the lower triple clamp. Will this affect bleeding or performance? Should I get a shorter line? Thanks guys, when it is all put together I will post some pics.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The only thing I am not sure about is the brake hose from the master now goes up (higher than master) and then down to the splitter on the lower triple clamp. Will this affect bleeding or performance?
It'll definitely make bleeding harder since any air bubbles will collect at the highest point of the hose. You can either replace the hose, grind off part of the locating pin/shield on the master itself so you can rotate the banjo bolt down, or bleed the master off the bars while holding them higher than the hose.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Fix her up. I like mine just fine.

·
Subaru Junkie
1,210 Posts
Congrats on receiving the bike. These bikes have a lot of potential...

Here's what I have done to mine (same model bike from '80-'82):
K&N air filter
Dynatek DC1-1 High Engery coil packs
Dynatek 7mm plug wires
NGK spark plugs
EBC front & rear brakes
Pirelli Sport Demon front & rear tires (love 'em!)
Progressive rear sport springs & shocks (worth the cash!)
Emgo low profile sport mirrors
ProTek clip-on race handlebar
Tuner-X L.E.D. rear brake light
Lockhart Phillips clear flush mount rear turn signals
Billet front turnsignals (fork tube mounted)
D.E.I. license plate bolt/lights
F.B.C. Cafe Racer Solo seat (custom made)
Factory rear fender eliminated
Factory front fender swapped from chrome to painted model

1 - 14 of 14 Posts