Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i'm a non-rider as of now but i'm looking into this one 83 CSR that needs a carb cleaning and some new tires. What is involved in a complete cleaning of the carbs? Would it be easier to just buy some good used/new carbs and swap the old ones out?

Also what size does the 305 CSR use for tires? Diamiter/sidewall/tread width?
Any info on the 305 would also be awesome :)

Santiago

·
Registered
607 Posts
Pardon my ignorange Santiago, but what model is a "CSR"?
Buying new carbs now would be like trading in a motorcycle because it was dirty. Removing, disassembling and cleaning the carbs is fairly simple. If you can find a copy of the Factory service manual it will have the exploded parts diagrams and full instructions for disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. Just follow the steps like a cookbook. Let us know specifically what model you have and I'll bet I can find an online source for that factory manual right away.
And the tire size should be on the sidewalls of your existing tires.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-Calamari Chris in Carlsbad, CA

·
Registered
607 Posts
Whoops! Nevermind Santiago. The '81 CSR was the model number. I'd just never seen one before.

Here's the parts diagram for your carbs. Just do each carb one at a time, so you don't mix up the parts. Spray out the float bowls and brass jets with carb cleaner and be careful not to bend the little plastic float arms out of their current state of adjustment. (The floats and float arms are the little plastic buoys in your float bowls.)
You can use q-tips to clean out the bowls, but keep them out of your jets. And wear some kind of eye protection when you're spraying the carb-cleaner--that's nasty stuff. I knew these guys at a shop who used to horseplay and spray that stuff at each other, then they couldn't figure out why their hair was falling out when they were so young!
Good luck and keep us abreast.
-CCinC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool! thanks for the parts diagram. I haven't actually acquired this moto yet but i'm looking to buy it for 250 dollars from a fellow Mazda Rx-7 owner. He told me it needed new tires and a good carb cleaning to run again. Here is a picture of A 305 CSR I found online http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/kawasaki-csr3050-84-bikepics-074677.jpg the one i'm trying to get is similar to it.

Santiago

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IRE 300S-18 F8 (F) I can't figure out the sizing on the front tire based on the parts diagram at kawi's site.

TIRE 120/90-16 K327 R

I got the rear right off the bat though 120/90 for an 16" wheel right? Seem pretty inexpensive.

Any help with the front?

·
Registered
2 Posts
carb cleaning

Im not really good at doing things on the internet, I took apart my carb on my 81 CSR 305 and found out one of my jets was junk, it was literally clogged and was jammed in there, I stripped apart the thread and will be lucky if I can even get the jet out. So now im stuck and my problem is that I can seem to find a carb rebuild kit on the net for my bike! does anyone know where I might be able to find one?!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Go to the Vintage section of the forum and look at the top 3 threads in there. There is a Sticky with links to several good parts locations for vintage bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts