Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Anyone know how to test a ignitor box from the air cooled GPZ,s?
I am just starting a build and have 5 of them and need to know if any of them are any good but without a running bike to plug it in to I dont know how I can test it

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
749 Posts
There are resistance tests that can be performed which are far too complicated to try to explain here. Your best bet is to download the service manual and follow the troubleshooting tests and resistance testing tables.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
43 Posts
Just my few cents, why not just go ahead with the rebuild. Once you have the bike ready and all set up try each one. What makes you think 5 out of 5 are all bad?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try searching for that. I didn’t know if there was a quick way to check them.
Chances are all 5 are fine but was going to sell the ones not required (along with other bits) to help finance things I guess.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, there is a quick way to do a basic check by reading resistance. You just need the factory manual and a electrical meter. But the test is very subjective and superficial. Even if it passes may not work properly. The real test is if the bike runs well. Basically, if you have this many, the factory manual test would probably simple tell which is closest to the good definition. In any case, selling them probably won't amount to much..

·
Registered
749 Posts
... Even if it passes may not work properly.
This is true. However if it fails the resistance test spectacularly, then you know it is garbage. If it passes the resistance test, the only way to know for sure that it is good, is to install it and try it. So if you have a meter and a manual it could save you the work of installing and testing all of the units, if you isolate the ones that passed from the ones that failed.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
43 Posts
Hey Beetle, just out of curiosity, what part numbers are on all those igniter boxes? I have a good one sitting right here on my desk FUJI type 21119-1160. And just for information sake, they are not actually Capacitor Discharge Ignition, they don't use the capacitor part, that was a bit later invention. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Kawasaki only called them 'electronic ignition' not CDI. See if these pictures from my manual are helpful/readable and let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My units are all marked Fuji type 21119-1069.
I’m guessing they will probably be ok as 2 of them were fitttd to bikes that have not been used in 8 yeRs and the other 3 were in a job lot with 2 more frames and heap of parts.
Hopefully, with 2 and a half engines, 4 frames etc, I can get a start made on them and get a good clean bike and see what I can do to build something else a bit ‘quirky’

·
Registered
749 Posts
Weird part numbers. On this side of the pond all non-turbo GPZ750's from 83-85 used 21119-1075 igniters.
The turbo used 21119-1120.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The igniter mfg part numbers don't necessary match the Kawasaki part numbers.
If you need a manual, there's a good pdf available at the 750Turbo dot com site >> yellow-gold cover w color wiring diagrams.
There's also a poorly copied version floating around the internet, so be sure to get the good one.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Good point Martin, I had not considered that. Some car companies have their own part numbers marked on each and every part of their cars including parts they buy from outside suppliers. This makes it so easy when ordering replacement parts. I assumed Kawi did the same.

Beetle, I would try manualslib dot com for a free download.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Also, it seems worth mentioning that the advance curve is built into the circuitry of the igniters that are used with a pulsing coil rotor (instead of a mechanical timing advancer), so an igniter from a different model may not be suitable (such as from a 550 or 1000).

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
43 Posts
Martin, I have tried the igniter from a GPz550 on the 750 and vice versa, I could not detect any difference. Also, I doubt there is an advance curve, it just goes 40deg advance after about 2000rpm. I don't have an electronic diagram of a igniter box but they are not particularly advanced electronically, there is no microprocessor inside all discrete electronics. At best they may have an op-amp for the pick-up coils.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ve four igniters and they’re all marked 21119-1069.

Two of my bikes are imports with US frame numbers and the other a UK model. They all have the same igniter number.

According to both Partzilla and CMSNL, the correct igniter for all A models is 21119-1075.

Strange!

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
43 Posts
I have 5 igniters, 4 from GPz750's with part numbers [email protected] 1160, and [email protected], the fifth is from a GPz550 with number 1113. These are all Canadian models. I have no 21119-1075. And as I said the 750 igniter works in 550 and vice versa. They are all probably the same thing. These igniters have no 'processor' in them so could not possibly be used for emissions. They might have a rev limit circuit, but can't confirm. Seems no circuit diagram for what's in these black boxes exist (i've searched). If I had one to play with and didn't care if it burned out I could tell a lot more about them, hook it my osciliscope etc. Anybody have one they would donate?

·
Registered
749 Posts
But like Martin said, the Fuji part number is not necessarily the same as the Kawi part number leaving us with a dog's breakfast of numbers and mass confusion over what fits what. Does anyone have one in the OEM packaging so we could at least relate Fuji numbers to Kawi numbers?

·
Registered
217 Posts
As most (if not all) Kawasaki igniters are 21119-xxxx, I’d venture to suggest that they’re all Kawasaki part numbers and not Fuji numbers.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
That could well be the answer. I find it strange though that the rubber damper is available separately but the igniter is only available with the damper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts